Tell us your thoughts!

We really want to hear from our users! This is where you can submit your ideas to us, request a new feature, tell us what you like or dislike about Noteflight, and find out what our current plans are!

NOTE: If you are having a technical problem, please email support@noteflight.com rather than posting here.

I wish Noteflight would...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Move the message/comment box

When I leave comments for my students under the score details tab, the comments are down really far on the screen and the students have to scroll down to see them (some students have a really hard time doing this on Chromebooks). Please consider having the message box be the first item you see under score details. Also, add a way for the teacher to see when a new comment has been posted. Thank you for considering this request.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. inline comment

the ability to select/highlight particular passages (single or multi-voice) and add comments. helps when composing and analyzing part writing ('this is the theme', 'this is the answer', 'this chord is an a N6', 'plagal cadence here'). While these are all things that someone who is learned in the art might see easily at a glance, it helps the student to keep these notes. also would be fun for others commenting (peer or teacher)... (e.g. 'your modulation to the relative minor here is nice'... 'maybe trying the second inversion here for better voice leading')

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Pete — have you tried the inline annotation feature? (It looks like a little sticky note on the palette). You can use it to attach comments to specific notes, etc. It was intended for the purpose you describe, but we welcome your feedback on how it works for you.

3. Allow separate beam height / size adjustments and other such engraving options.

Apparently, there is no way to individually adjust beam heights and sizes to correctly account for certain types of articulations, rhythm indications, nested tuplets, etc. Especially for percussion oriented notations. This is critical for a clear representation of phrasing.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Pickup measures should not be numbered

I think in the older version of Noteflight the pickup measures were not numbered, but now it seems they are. Can we have numbering start from the first full measure?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Work on the upbeats.

I literally have been trying for like 30 minutes to create this stupid upbeat and I googled and even read the help guide but it still hasn't worked. I am really upset and annoyed that I wasted my time for nothing! I did everything correctly and did exactly what it said but still nothing. Get it fixed or make it easier!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow non-premium users/all users to play individual instruments in a score (ex. only violin part)

When composing, it would be great to be able to select the part you want to listen to so you could edit it without having to ignore the piano part in the background for example

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Develop a printable keyboard and staff lines for notes for new learners

My grandson is just learning to play piano. If there was an image of a keyboard with corresponding staff lines and note names displayed at the top of each page, he could proceed with less frustration. Like most beginners, he is eager to make music. Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. give option of having the rhythm symbols / beats in a score's staves align. Same rhythms in two lines do not align, even w/ moving barlines.

If not forcing these align (even when the words are the same in adjacent lines), please provide option in Document Layout to adjust or align the measures, words, rhythms, beats, or whatever. The staff and note spacings are great options, but those haven't helped me align the measures and meats.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Lock Pitches/Rhythms from being Edited

As a teacher, I use Noteflight to create activity templates all the time. It would be great for me to be able to lock pitches, rhythms, voices, staves, etc. so that students could not edit them - accidentally or intentionally. For example, consider a Figured Bass exercise. Imagine being able to lock the bass voice entirely so that students could not alter the pitches.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Snippets Library

Why not have a library of musical snippets, that can be easily pasted into the curent measure(s)?

For example, Notion's "Progression" program comes with a set of generic drum parts in different styles which make it easy to cut and paste together as simple drum accompaniment.

"pianochap" suggested a collection of rhythmic patterns with his "Auto-generate parts" suggestion, like "Band in a Box".

While a bit less automatic than auto-generated parts, a snippets library could contain many useful bits that could simplify writing music:

* Bass lines in various styles;
    * Piano accompaniments in various styles;
    * Guitar riffs in…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the detailed thoughts. These are valuable ideas, and we’ve been mulling this kind of thing over for a while. We’ll probably mull a while longer before doing it, because we want to think more about how this could work in an online context where snippets can be shared.

13. allow bass notes in chords to be entered UNDER the chord, not just next to it (with a backslash)

Right now, to show a bass note in a chord chart, you can use the slash idea (C/G = C Chord over a G Bass) but it would be nice to have the G go underneath the C directly - maybe by using an underscore

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. show the instruments used in a composition next to the title when choosing a score from "My Scores".

I often create multiple compositions with the same title and don't always print all of my parts from a single score. It would be helpful when looking at compositions in "My Scores" to have other signifiers such as what instrument the composition is for so I can quickly see which composition is for which instrument.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow toggle options between notes/chords (other than clicking)

For example, if you could do a CTRL or ALT left/right to change horizontally, and the same up/down to go vertical in a chord.

It takes much more time having to click everything, and sometimes you can accidently click in a new change you didn't mean to.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. AUTO LABELS

Hi. So i put together video with explanation of how you could improve program.
    As far as i know, no notation software yet, has not function to automatically add labels besides notes. Please watch my video in english (3 minutes long) and you will understand. Me and a lot of people who write notes profesionally for their studens, they miss this feature.
    link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rdyhl8eMwQ3nQ6iVUCrIySpj_Q4bJUrO

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. have another a cappella arranging contest!

You had an a cappella arranging contest in 2015. I would love to see it come back annually. If you were to do it again, could you have the judges give feedback on the score? I would have loved to know what I could do to improve my arranging.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Let you access your scores after the 30 day premium trial if you made more than ten.

I tried out the 30 day premium subscription and my subscription has timed out. I am still unsure whether I would like to purchase noteflight premium, but would at least like to be able to access my old scores. I currently have 17 scores, and the free version only permits 10. However, I cannot delete the scores that I have

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow sellers to have dedicated store fronts

Example: I am selling a growing collection of arrangements in a specific genre—Traditional English Country Dance tunes. I would like my prospects to visit my "store" of tunes. I will have perhaps 60 charts up soon with many more to come. The market to which I will be selling is the international community of people who do both English Country Dance and Contra Dance. Most of the bands that play for live events are made up of "weekend" musicians like myself. They can be reached on scores of chat areas and groups through social media.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow isolated playback of only one chord/beat in a measure

Perhaps by hovering over the chord/beat and hitting a key to trigger just that isolated section.

It helps to hear individual chord voicings without having to hit replay a bunch of times.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Tell us your thoughts!

Feedback and Knowledge Base