I wish Noteflight would...

Advanced / Improved Search

Noteflight needs a more powerful search tool. Users (both regular and Crescendo) should be able edit the metadata within each score with the following information:
- Title of piece
- Description
- Composer
- Tags/keywords
- Number of instruments
- Types of instruments
- Whether the score is original or an arrangement
- Length (both duration and number of measures)
- Sharing/privacy settings (whether you can edit, print, etc.)

These could go under an "advanced search" feature that many search engines have. People could still use the current search by default, but they would also have more powerful options for a more customized search.

891 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    jos_carterjos_carter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

81 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jamison McGillivrayJamison McGillivray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whenever I search for a song it never pulls up what I'm looking for. The search results aren't even close to matching what I searched for. It's quite annoying.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the computer this feature as well as multiple other sorting features are available, but you can never find the song you're actually looking for on mobile.

• YalliYalli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The search function is pretty useless now. It shows results for every song containing only one keyword from your search. You used to be able to search, "Moonlight Sonata", for example, and find everything that had both Moonlight AND Sonata in it. Now, you'll find things that only contain one of the words, which makes it a lot harder to find the piece you're looking for, especially since a word like "Sonata" is so common. If the piece you're looking for has a common word like "The" in it, you should give up on trying to find it. It's impossible. Please change it so that it only shows results that contain all keywords from the search.

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if I could separate out the scores that were meant to be choral scores so that I don't have to dig through 25 brass and woodwind quartets before I get to the SATB music. Maybe it could be something in the publishing tool that is a check box to say it is a vocal score.

This is absolutely essential.

With the thousands of scores available in the searchable database, I personally don't want to spend hours just searching for piano pieces.

Please implement this as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Paul.

• LizLiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow a "check off" search for instrumentation, like if I need a flute/clarinet/horn/tuba arrangement, allow me to check those instruments, and perhaps an "only these instruments" or "including these instruments" box.

G'day from Australia.

I have just joined and I am very impressed with the site, the program, and what you have to offer.

I think it would be great to have the ability when searching for a piece, to be able to search for instrumentation, such as piano solo, string trio, etc. This may be possible, as I have just joined, but I can't see the option anywhere.

Best wishes to all the musos out there and best wishes to the noteflight team.

Seeya.

• MasonMason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We can search for things in the forums forums, and we can search scores. Why not just users in general? That way, it's easier to find a Noteflight user. This might sound a lot like some Facebooky type thing, and it kind of is like that, but this seems like a good idea.

• DeisDeis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with this. I was about to post a similar comment, and saw this. Oftentimes I am looking for a new piece for piano and have to wade through countless scores to find scores for the piano. You can't just put piano in the title or you will automatically lose quite a few search results.

Sometimes, I really want to see how other musicians are composing music for certain sets of instruments or certain solo instruments. With the current search settings, we cannot choose to search for a score based on the instruments that are being used.

Please consider adding a search option that allows us to find scores based upon the specific instruments that are being used.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base