I wish Noteflight would...

allow custom articulations

There are a few problems with playback on the articulation markings now, for example:
1. staccato markings are much too short
2. stacatissimo markings don't play
3. marcato accents are too loud
et cetera, et cetera.

A good solution for all these problems, and one that would be adjustable to different styles and moods of music would be a menu that allows custom articulation definitions for tenutos/legatos, marcatos, staccatos, etc. throughout a piece.

I would imagine two sliders: the first, "length," would be expressed as a percentage of marked value. It would be defaulted at ~85% for normal notes, 60% for staccato, 95% for legato, etc.

The second, "volume" would be expressed as a percentage of the current dynamic level (ranging from about 50% to 200%). An accent mark should not have an absolute volume; it should be determined by context. Obviously an accent in pp is sounded differently from one in fff.

2,777 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

49 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • The Best commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Plus, I don't think you are describing it right. It is not the cut-off, but the spaces between the notes. Without Tenutos everywhere, there is an annoying space between each note, with no sound. I think that is what needs to be fixed

• The Best commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

87 votes, and it still isn't accepted! I keep on having to do this to every single time for every single song! Plus, having to do that for some voices, not all, because some voices (instruments) have long enough notes,but not the piano.

• Celebration commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Man, I wish I could give this a thousand votes! Every song I do is supposed to be sustained, and I don't want to have to do this for every one. Hope this gets considered!

• joy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This also happens to me! I wish they would get this fixed!

• GarrettSnavely commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I play a song with nothing added to it, it sounds very choppy, and nothing is sustained to it's right value. I have to add tenuto articulations on every note to make it sound decent. I would like to not have to do that for every song, because it fills up the whole page with lines. Please fix!

• daddo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes staccato is too short, or sometimes to obtain more legato effect it could be profitable to have notes up to 105% of their front lenght. It would be great if each note duration percentage could be set indipendently. Thanks

1 3 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base