I wish Noteflight would...

allow custom articulations

There are a few problems with playback on the articulation markings now, for example:
1. staccato markings are much too short
2. stacatissimo markings don't play
3. marcato accents are too loud
et cetera, et cetera.

A good solution for all these problems, and one that would be adjustable to different styles and moods of music would be a menu that allows custom articulation definitions for tenutos/legatos, marcatos, staccatos, etc. throughout a piece.

I would imagine two sliders: the first, "length," would be expressed as a percentage of marked value. It would be defaulted at ~85% for normal notes, 60% for staccato, 95% for legato, etc.

The second, "volume" would be expressed as a percentage of the current dynamic level (ranging from about 50% to 200%). An accent mark should not have an absolute volume; it should be determined by context. Obviously an accent in pp is sounded differently from one in fff.

2,777 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

49 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SnowyTheMentalist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've also noticed that staccato notes are to short, so I've just been writing eighth notes instead of quarter notes with a staccato.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Clicking on an ornament such as a grace note and changing its value does not affect the sound of its duration.

Yes. Definitely. Also, I think there should be anti-accents which allow notes to be played quieter than the rest. ( like u, (),[].)

• hoffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But I've also learned from experience that adding a tie to the end of one note allows for the FULL value of that note to be played, as Joe had mentioned

• hoffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. this is a an obvious issue, when using wind instruments, bowed string instruments, and some plucked string instruments. What's worse is that if these certain instruments were held for a whole note, they'd maintain the note at the same dynamic. So when it gets cutoff, you go from a moment of sound to an immediate drop in volume.

• Paul Wesley (P W) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will have to add that I have used Encore, Master Tracks, Muse, and other music notation programs. Your's is a very difficult environment because we have to "figure out" how to bend the music from your rules to our needs. I commend you with what you have tried so far, but in matters like Muse versus yours, I will try you for about another month. Then if the keyboard use versus mouse use does not improve, I will be again dropping you in favor of Muse.

• Tyler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One little thing you could experiment with for an implementation is to add a little release envelope to each note. I did this recently by adding 10,000 samples (assuming 44.1k) to each note's duration, and over those samples I fade the volume to 0. Doing this as an actual addition to the duration, instead of adding the release segment at the end of the normal note's duration, really helps the smoothness between notes. You could obviously make the duration of this fade user-definable, perhaps on an instrument by instrument basis.

In my opinion, the vibrato sounds really bad. I'd really like for this to be improved, because it could make some pieces just sound so much better if the instruments could have vibrato.

• Phil Phan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. We need this so badly. The articulations on here are too exaggerated or not exaggerated enough most of the time

• Jacob A. P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some instruments at, say, pianissimo sound more like mezzo-forte, and some at mezzo-forte sound to be at least forte. Is there a chance you guys at Noteflight could balance the dynamics more?

• Jacob A. P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The dynamics aren't their full degree. For example, forte is more of a mezzo-forte, and fortissimo is more of a normal forte. And so on. I hope you guys can update this.

• kevinc117 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm hoping that they can change the staccato and marcato in that they are not simple manipulations of the volume and length and accounts for the style change that each articulation has on the sound.

• Matthew Tan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, i definitely agree that this is a very important aspect of music. Especially for wind instruments like the saxophone or clarinet. Tonguing does not allow the flow of air to be stopped, it only accents the sound for a brief period of time. Currently, to immitate "real" tonguing, i have to do a guitar slide for every note, and on another track, play a accented staccato on another track at the same time for every "note"

• xman720 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are several ways a midi player can "fake" real playing, here are some suggestions:

I think that it would be apropriate if the midi player played the first ntoe of every measure slightly louder as if they had about half an accent, or something like that.

Also, I think that if it recognized a scale, such as treble C, treble E, treble G, treble A, treble G. It would recognize C E G A has a strtaight line and so would play them all legato, and would play a break between A and G. This would make it a bit more realistic. In addition, when people put slurs, it would be a better midi player if it played the middle of the slurs louder than the ends of the slurs in order to "shape the phrase". It would also be nice in my opinion if when 2 of the same notes were played next to eachother with one note inbetween, then those notes would be slurred.
        I don't know if these ideas are already thought, impossible, or already implemented, but I think that these, if possible, would make some great improvements to the midi player.

• cellogirl96 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is especially a problem with the string instruments....they don't cut off at the same time!

• Buttersnack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In percussion music, when accents are to be played at something other than one dynamic higher than what's written, the composer writes "accent/tap heights (dynamics)." This means that is I write ff/mf, I want all accents to be at ff and all unaccented (tap) notes to be mf.

Feedback and Knowledge Base