I wish Noteflight would...

allow custom articulations

There are a few problems with playback on the articulation markings now, for example:
1. staccato markings are much too short
2. stacatissimo markings don't play
3. marcato accents are too loud
et cetera, et cetera.

A good solution for all these problems, and one that would be adjustable to different styles and moods of music would be a menu that allows custom articulation definitions for tenutos/legatos, marcatos, staccatos, etc. throughout a piece.

I would imagine two sliders: the first, "length," would be expressed as a percentage of marked value. It would be defaulted at ~85% for normal notes, 60% for staccato, 95% for legato, etc.

The second, "volume" would be expressed as a percentage of the current dynamic level (ranging from about 50% to 200%). An accent mark should not have an absolute volume; it should be determined by context. Obviously an accent in pp is sounded differently from one in fff.

2,747 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, if all the problems were fixed then the songs would be smoother and realistic.

• Dylan NicholsonDylan Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely agree - at a minimum I'd like to be able to turn OFF the default interpretation of staccato and other symbols as they often don't sound right. E.g. if I mark something p and staccato it's barely audible.
        But ideally I should be able to control what the desired playback length is for staccato, what the desired velocity reduction is for piano etc. etc. At a score level would be ok, at a instrument level better and ideally of course at a per-note level.

• Jonah McconnellJonah Mcconnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would make all songs smoother and better sounding; right now it all sounds clipped and almost overly staccato.

• SitricSitric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While the tenuto, staccato, etc... options are useful, having a slider for actual note length within the beat would be very useful. Where a staccato may be too short but a regular quarter note too long for style, this would help to capture the true style of a note.

The same goes for dynamics where one dynamic throughout the entire note duration may not sound right. Different attack and taper would help if the dynamic level could be controlled over the course of a note. While this would complicate things, it would be incredibly useful.

• GingecardsGingecards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The strong accents/marcatos should have more of a staccato and accent to them. There should be falls. Glissandos for trombones should make a smooth sound rather than playing all the notes in between. Allow arpeggios to be for both hands for the piano. The brackets should be pedal down too. In addition, there should be una and tre corda. There should also be changing pedal. And the mordents and turns and their inverted versions should be played, too.

• RichardRichard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you add a sign or symbol that would allow us to soften the initial sound that plays when using the piano? Right now, whenever a note is played on the piano, it sounds harsh, as if you're hitting the keys hard.

• Stephen F. CzaplaStephen F. Czapla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not to put too fine a point on it, but many of his have taken it at face value and written with the too-short staccato in mind. We should be allowed to maintain it. Additional flexibility would be a help, as was done with the length of grace notes. (In HTML5, at least.)

On that thought, is it too much to ask that Flash users be given the same updates? I would be using HTML5 if any computer/browser I'd tried it on was able to play it back successfully. Why should we be shut out of these developments because of the bugs in HTML5?

• Zenog-NoteflightFeedbackZenog-NoteflightFeedback commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely! The bane of my existence here on Noteflight is the staccato markings. The accents being too loud I can deal with, but the staccatos always reduce the note down to something far too short, no matter what note they're placed on.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do the same as GarretSnavely, also, I remove the tenuto marking to mark the end of a phrase, or create the effect of taking a breath.

• hagen_susanhagen_susan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! Exactly! Good solution! Thank you! I especially miss the marcato/hat accents used in Jazz music!

• Shawn DennyShawn Denny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel like if note flight took a volume line like in protools you could hand write in volumes at certain db rather than having one instrument one level and guessing whatever db crescendos and diminuendos will do, seems to be buggy. Just put up a volume line(symbol) for each note or section of a measure. make it break down just like notes so you could enter in 64th note volume changes. Hope this helps, I love making music with note flight! love Crescendo!

• Shawn DennyShawn Denny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel like if note flight took a volume line like in protools you could hand write in volumes at certain db rather than having one instrument one level and guessing whatever db crescendos and diminuendos will do, seems to be buggy. Just put up a volume line(symbol) for each note or section of a measure. make it break down just like notes so you could enter in 64th note volume changes. Hope this helps, I love making music with note flight! love Crescendo!
        _.+*^*+._.+*^*+._.+*^*+._.+*^*+._.+*^*+._.+*^*+._.+*^*+._.+*^*+._.+*^*+._.+*^*+._

• SnowyTheMentalistSnowyTheMentalist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've also noticed that staccato notes are to short, so I've just been writing eighth notes instead of quarter notes with a staccato.

Clicking on an ornament such as a grace note and changing its value does not affect the sound of its duration.

Yes. Definitely. Also, I think there should be anti-accents which allow notes to be played quieter than the rest. ( like u, (),[].)

• hofferhoffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But I've also learned from experience that adding a tie to the end of one note allows for the FULL value of that note to be played, as Joe had mentioned

• hofferhoffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. this is a an obvious issue, when using wind instruments, bowed string instruments, and some plucked string instruments. What's worse is that if these certain instruments were held for a whole note, they'd maintain the note at the same dynamic. So when it gets cutoff, you go from a moment of sound to an immediate drop in volume.

• Paul Wesley (P W)Paul Wesley (P W) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will have to add that I have used Encore, Master Tracks, Muse, and other music notation programs. Your's is a very difficult environment because we have to "figure out" how to bend the music from your rules to our needs. I commend you with what you have tried so far, but in matters like Muse versus yours, I will try you for about another month. Then if the keyboard use versus mouse use does not improve, I will be again dropping you in favor of Muse.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base