I wish Noteflight would...

Make fermata affect playback (assign playback value)

The fermata does not seem to affect the playback at all. It would be great if a value could be assigned to the fermata for each score (or even each instance) to facilitate playback lengthening of the note up to 2 times the written length.

709 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    rumaclean shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • bookwormextreme39 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wait, sorry, I figured it out. However, it is unfair that only Premium users aren't forced to have the tempo showing.

• Stephen F. Czapla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for finally tackling this! It does need a little more tweaking though. Currently, fermata will work on a beat, but not when placed on a syncopation. For example, measure #14 here:

http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/7a1165e2ef71cb1f2337e0efbcfda7b123e18d01

I have tried moving it from one tied sixteenth note to the other, over both (in both clefs), and rendering them as an eighth note instead. Playback ignores the fermata no matter what I do. Can something be done?

• meb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i agree if you have a whole note with a fermata it is played a a whole note not played longer

• Andrew Chung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I use fermata a lot in my music but I want to hear it be reflected in the playback. Just add some dialog box that users can set lengths for fermatas.

• dptarvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is basic text book definition of a fermata...
        A fermata (also known as a hold, pause, colloquially a birdseye, or as a grand pause when placed on a note of rest) is an element of musical notation indicating that the note should be sustained for longer than its note value would indicate. Exactly how much longer it is held is up to the discretion of the performer or conductor, but twice as long is not unusual.

• dptarvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could the Femata symbol have a slight ritard. and sustain for twice the value of the note. For example: if the playback is coming to the femata the music should ideally ritard a little and the note is held out for twice it's value. Thanks for your vote.

• BJR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

possibly set it so we determine the length of the fermata

Feedback and Knowledge Base