I wish Noteflight would...

Custom Articulation / Beam Placement

Please allow for accents to be placed above the staff, regardless of whether the stem is facing up or down. It is very unusual seeing accents below the staff! Thank you!

29 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has this been resolved? I've still never figured out a way to place the accents above the stems for writing marching percussion scores. Particularly irritating when trying to write snare music and stickings beneath the bar

• Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! Allow the accents to be placed above the staff despite the orientation of the stems.

Allow articulations to moved freely from the notes they are associated to so they do not get in the way of dynamic markings and lyrics (sticking) while scoring percussion... especially marching percussion. Right now I am stuck with market accents below the notes when I need them above.

Agreed! This allows for stickings to go below the staff and articulations above as is standard for marching percussion.

This is because you are used to it. Some people are used to the accents being below the staff, like those who learned it that way.

• Karl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Writing for marching percussion (bass drums) I prefer all stems to be up. However, for the higher drums (top of the staff) the accents get placed below the staff! Please allow me to make the accents appear above the stems instead of below the head. Thank you!

• Eddie Zhang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Custom placing would be even better in some cases.

About the bug at the bottom: the articulation is placed according to the stem position, not the note head position. That's why the upper voice has everything to the right and the bottom has it to the left.

• whatsisface commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently when a staff has multiple voices the articulation markings of the upper voice appear above the notes, while articulation of the lower voice appear below the notes. This makes sense in some cases, but depending on the marking as well as other things it makes more sense for it to go on the inside. Namely:
        Bow marks should ALWAYS appear above the notes.
        If there's nothing directly above it in the upper voice (rest or held note) then the articulation can appear above the note, moving the rest further up if necessary.

Related bug: All articulation markings with multiple voices appear slightly further to the left than normal.

• saxocomp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After inserting a hairpin (< and >) or dynamic the note AND the new item stays selected.
        In my workflow I need ONLY the new hairpin or dynamic to remain selected, because they often need to be manually adjusted, which I do with the arrow-keys right away.

As it is now, I have to deselect the note first and then select the dynamic to adjust it. Inconvenient!

• Jacob Bandes-Storch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's true, though it might be nice to be able to squish them a bit more, since some measures insist on taking up more space than necessary.

• Joe Berkovitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note that you can force any desired number of measures onto a line by changing the "line spacing" setting in Document Layout.

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We can move the expression/dynamics text, but not beams or staccato/other marks. There should be an ability to adjust the angle of beams (and whether they're on the top or bottom), and to move staccato/staccatissimo marks (e.g. next to the note head instead of outside the staff, whether or not it overlaps a line).

We also really need to be able to force more measures onto a line, rather than messing with their widths and hoping it works!

Feedback and Knowledge Base