I wish Noteflight would...

work with more than one time signature at the same time

I would like to write polirhythms for example the right hand 3/4 and the left hand 2/4. At the moment it is not possible.

28 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cfuertes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Terry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add my two cents and agree with this, as there is presently no way to notate simultaneous bars which have different time signatures. For example, if one wanted to, there is no way to have simultaneous bars of 4/4 and 7/8, or 17/16 and 13/8. It would also be very useful if there was a way to utilize irrational rhythms, such as 4/5, in which a whole note is divided up into five beats instead of 4, which the traditional 4th representing a 5th of a note. Alternatively, if one wanted something like that, since a 4/5 would be equal in length to a 4/4 bar if not in note length then in time it takes to play, another option would be to designate one bar as 5:4/4. Custom time signatures would be very useful, as would custom duplets/triplets/etc., as there is currently no way to notate if one wanted to use a 3:5 triplet. Features like this would be extremely useful and expand the functionality of Noteflight greatly.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes!! I am working on a piece that is in 3/8 in one voice and 4/8 in the other. this gives me 21 over 20 and is impossible to do unless I can have two time signatures simultaneously.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am working on a piece for two guitars where guitar one plays in 3/8 and 5/8 while guitar two plays in 4/8 simultaneously. When I change the time signature for guitar two, it also changes for guitar one.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have several original compositions that are best represented as multiple parts in different time signatures played at the same time. For example, I have a piece for four pianos with one part in 5/8, another in 6/8, another part in 7/8, and another in 8/8. The way the multiple time signatures work together as a composition is magical. However, it is a pain to just pick one of the times and make the other three awkwardly fit into that one time across many bars.

• azyako commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be very helpful for putting the cadenza in the score (i.e., solo instrument plays bunch of notes while others just hold notes.) Please make it happen!

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to write tow different time signatures in diffeerent voices/staff, for example, 12/ 8 in one of the voices and 4/4 in the other

Feedback and Knowledge Base