I wish Noteflight would...

Allow Customized Text Fonts

At the moment, when writing the score name, or composer/lyricist name at the top of a score, you can only use one font, and one colour (black) and one size, and no italics, underlines, bolds allowed.

Also, when writing text within the score, e.g. lyrics, playing directions, etc. you can currently use only one font, and no bolds or underlines, or italics. With crescendo, you can change the colour, but Noteflight Crescendo only offers eight colours - not much. It would be much better if Noteflight could offer more fonts, text sizes, colours, and functions like italics, bold, and underline. Thanks for considering this!

445 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    violin2012 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminRobin McClellan (Admin, Noteflight) responded  · 

Update! We have now added the option to adjust:
    - margins
    - text size
    - more!

See: https://notes.noteflight.com/noteflight-enhances-score-customizations/

SO: We have renamed this to be only related to the ability to change the font of the text, which is still not an option.

If you only needed the option to change text SIZE, you can un-vote for this and use your vote for something else.

Thanks!

44 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ryan Casey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love it if there were more options when it cam to chord symbols. It would especially good if you could make them bold as well as bigger. It would also be great if you could change the size of Codas and Signs because at the moment they are tiny. If this is possible please tell me how :)

• Rob Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish the font used for Roman numeral chord labels had serifs! In theory classes we often require our students to put lines above and below the capital letters to more clearly differentiate between upper- and lower-case letters. I

• Lila Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The group for which I am submitting music would like the fonts Verdana & Georgia used; and italics.

• Malcolm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm scoring a piece of music theatre and I need to be able to write character names, interstitial dialogue and stage direction/dialogue cues throughout the Piano-Conductor Score.

These are generally demarcated using different combinations of all caps, bold and italic text as system text markings and without them it's very difficult to make my score look professional.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be helpful to be able to insert text onto the page anywhere and alter the font for that text like a basic textbox function in Word (not via the settings option which offers limited changes) - maybe a pop-up font function. The current various text options are clumsy and make the page look ugly. This is especially frustrating when trying to make assignments.

Thanks for your consideration. Apologies if this has already been addressed!

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Changing the size of lyric text to have larger font sizes to make reading the lyric texts easier.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google fonts has a simple API and shouldn't require too many dev hours to be performant. Would be an awesome integration.

• Linda Hite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm writing Medieval music and would like a different font choice. Any progress on Noteflight offering that?

• AdminRobin McClellan (Admin, Noteflight) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Paul, that is a fair point! Just to check: you can change the zoom and overall staff size, so I'm wondering: is it the relative size text-to-staff that's the issue? It's true we don't offer that feature.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to use Noteflight for musical inserts in church service leaflets. There is no proper export function, aside from screenshot, but that would be tolerable if I could change font size. Because the font size can't be adjusted, I might just have to go and buy Sibelius...

• Shirley green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was able to change both fonts and colours by exporting my scores to PDF, then using the editor in that program. It was tedious, but worked very well.

Yes please! And more options than just "Standard Font" and "Jazz Font". It would be nice to have a list of options not just for text but for style of notation overall.

Bold and italics would be incredibly useful, as it would look more professional. Change in font sizes would help in not having the composer and arrangement text take up a large portion of the page when it's not neccessary.

• Cate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When arranging a piece, you have to put the composers name above, then your name in a smaller font size underneath. Can you change the font size so that it doesn't take up the whole page?

• Jacob Zufall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Noteflight has a Standard Font and a Jazz Font, but how cool would it be if you could design your own? Maybe Noteflight could add a section where you draw each note and you can create a font pack and download the fonts of others. Not the most essential thing, I just thought it would be cool.

• Liam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bold text would be great since performance directions are traditionally bolded and without it final parts and scores look unprofessional.

• Leanne Clarke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be really useful if NF could italicize lyrics. When there is a talking bit in a song, the words are italicized.

• Orckdork44 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now, the only fonts available are "Standard" and "Jazz", but it would be nice if there were some new fonts like the ones used in classical music such as "Les Preludes" by Franz Liszt and "Serenade for string orchestra in F major" by George W. Chadwick.

• Melaku commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this very much. I'm running into a problem with this right now. I wish there were some way I could separate my performance text for tempo from other text like for bowings and pizzicato. Another issue is I wish that I could move symbols like the fermata to different distances from the note so that it wouldn't get in the way of the different things I would want to be happening at the same time. If you look at a piece I'm working on right now.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base