I wish Noteflight would...

Allow Custom Templates to Be Created

I recently upgraded to Cresendo, and was a bit disappointed with the instrument selection feature. When you open a new score, the program asks you to chose a template. While all of these options are pretty good, I would like to both be able to create my own templates and title them myself, or be able to select the unique instruments I want in the beginning without having to choose a template and either add or delete instruments.

125 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ben shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Deborah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree...I am a Noteflight Learn user and I use a very basic elementary beginning band score setup all the time but it isn't in the list. It would be nice to be able to add my favorite templates. right now, I just make a copy of an existing score and then delete the musical content!

• adam rose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every time I open a score, I seem to have to reset everything in the editing palette, turn off that horrible onscreen keyboard etc. I really wish I could set up a personal layout that would stick for every score rather than having to keep re-creating what I want.

• Dylan Moreland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a similar issue. I arrange SATB choir scores almost exclusively, but I prefer the sound of the midi piano to the midi voices. So, I either have to start from scratch and create a new staff for each voice, or I have to go through and change all the staves to be played by a piano. Custom templates would help A LOT! :)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This may not exactly be the most pressing issue, but I feel like it would be a relatively small feature to add that would make Noteflight more user-friendly. In Noteflight Crescendo, when you click "New Score" you are given a list of templates for common ensembles that you can choose from. This makes setting up your score significantly easier, but only if you always use these templates. I typically find myself choosing the template most similar to the ensemble I want and then deleting and adding parts. If users could create blank scores and then save them to choose from later, this would save users lots of time.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Joe Berkovitz
    That is an excellent and instant solution, but in the long run, a more sophisticated solution would be preferred. Having the option to create and save custom templates, or to build templates before going into the music editor itself, would improve the quality and of competence of noteflight.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was surprised not to find an 18-piece big band template particularly after the recent competition.

• JK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see a template where users can write individual parts as opposed to writing an entire score. When you select "New Score", a pop-up would show an option of selecting either "New Instrument" or "New Score". When you select "New Instrument", it would show the available instruments. Select that instrument, and the template would pop up with the name of the instrument inserted on the upper left hand corner. Add notes, measures, etc....then save and/or print out that part.

• Nathan Benitez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I upgraded to crescendo, I thought that the templates were the coolest thing in the world. However, I often find myself using the same setup for different pieces that's NOT a template. I wish Noteflight would allow us to make custom templates, unique to our profile.

• Corey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it would be cool to be able to make custom templates in the creating a new score menu. It would be very convenient, and an awesome feature.

• xman720 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to make a score that has a wind trio, a string orchestra, and a full SATB choir. These are 3 templates that are already in place, and it would be handy to be able to select all of them instead of selecting one and then adding the other instruments manually.

• Joseph Perry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea, that or we could just create custom templates. It would be useful. I mean, if we could set things up for our own personal use to making easier on each individual user it'd make Crescendo so much more appealing

• Andrea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently in templates there is a setting for Barbershop, but the clefs are set up for Male Barbershop. In female barbershop, the tenor and Lead sing in the treble clef at normal pitch, but the Bass and baritone sing an 8av above what is written in the Bass Clef.

This 8ve up Bass clef is not available at all throughout noteflight - so you cant even amend the male barbershop template to work for female barbershop.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some users are arranging and composing for large and varied groups. Allowing users to list the parts needed for a piece, then having noteflight lay out the parts specified would save users time. Users composing for larger groups would be thankful.

The idea of using a default template then saving a copy and using that works on paper, but for users that compose for large varied groups (ie: a big band, then a quintet, then a concert band) this is impractical.

• Vera Vieira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I noticed there is, but not with enough separation, though. It still is very hard to figure out where we are, depending on where we are. If you have a piece for a large orchestra and are viewing only a few (but not so few) staves; perhaps even a couple of sections, it is not clear where you are (specially, of course when using the strip layout view).

• Vera Vieira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK, I think we have this now on Crescendo, but the problem is that at the moment that we add an instrument or two, the template loses its reading easiness (which to start is already not that effective) because the distance between the sections get evened down and there is no separation between them even in the beginning; so; you have always to come back to the beginning and look at the order of the instruments to find where you are, especially considering the orchestra score does not fit on the screen.
    I would greately appreciate if this could be improved.

• Steve Powerdrill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do this. I'm arranging a version of the rite of spring for 4 guitars, 2 keyboards, 2 basses and a drumset. I have others working on the arrangement for me and I want it to be as easy for them as possible, and I want the sections to look consistant. And sifting through hundreds of "versions" for the 18 proper arrangements would be a total disaster. At least let me change the title, then save to automatically make it a new product. This works with every word processing program. please please please. :)

• pablo portalatin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you know when you want to make a new composition about maching band or a drum corp or anything that is not on the list when you press the "new score" thing and then you have to make your own and it takes a long time to prepare it. well i think it needs more selectionson that list.

• cellogirl96 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was brought up in a thread on the Forum, and I thought it was a good idea. When making a score for a standard orchestra, it can be tedious to add each individual instrument. I think there should be a template for an orchestra as an option when creating a new score. The instruments should already be in the correct order with the correct names, etc. Of course, we should still be able to add and remove instruments, but it would be very helpful to have a standard template to start with.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base