I wish Noteflight would...

improve keyboard shortcuts

There are a lot of functions that should have a keyboard shortcut, but don't:
anything in the menu. (ex. change clef)
moving up/down staves
move to the beginning or end of the piece
move to the next section or page, or perhaps jump eight measures in strip layout
go to measure number
move staff up or down
select multiple staves

216 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using [ and ] to change note values (e.g. from quarter to eighth) gets tedious, especially when a passage uses a wide variety of note lengths—and using the toolbar to click on each note value before entering each note isn't much better. A simple keyboard shortcut for each note length, such as 1=whole, 2=half, 3=quarter, 4=eighth, etc. would make notating ideas much quicker. This would prevent the action of switching note values from getting in the way of the creative process.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was coming in to add this as a suggestion, and found that it's already here... I believe I was actually the person who suggested this almost four years ago. It's amazing that this hasn't been addressed yet!

• natalie.boisvert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with this. I'm trying to integrate Noteflight to a college music theory course, but navigation is so cumbersome, it is enough for me to give up on the idea. It should be easy to navigate from one staff to the other without having to switch from keyboard to mouse to keyboard to mouse for every note that is to be entered in a four-part texture. Until students can work easily with four parts _at the same time_, there will be no pedagogical value to doing the work with software rather than on paper. If students are better off working on paper, then transcribing to Noteflight is a "make work" activity of little interest or value. I'm very disappointed.

• Overlord Fombax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a pain having to manually select a transposition interval if you want to transpose the chord symbols along with the notes of a certain passage. People working with pop/ musical theatre scores may have to do a lot of transposing for arrangements off lead sheets, and the manual extra step shouldn't be necessary.

It would be nice to have the chord symbols change automatically with the Shift-Down/Up transposition shortcut. After all, it's hard to imagine a situation in which one would be transposing notes but leaving the chords the same... Thanks!

• whatsisface commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since none of these have been getting any notice, I created a new feedback thread with all the ideas for fixing voicing in it. I ask that everyone who voted on this vote on that instead so that the cumulative votes will get more attention.

• pmatz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, a new user (2 weeks) and i have to say i love noteflight - absolutely awesome! Great job!

One thing I have found i keep doing is when I have a note on a chord selected, intuitively using the arrow keys to move up or down to the next higher or lower note on that chord.

Of course this moves the note itself which is indeed what should happen, but.

Is there any way of when a chord is selected (or note from that chord) you can select each individual note (perhaps cycling through them) with a keyboard shortcut?

I edit all by keyboard, moving through the measure, changing the time accidentals and notes is so easy and intuitive, as is copying and pasting chords, notes and phrases.

The ability to change notes in a chord means I have to use the mouse which slows me right down!

For example. I might copy a chord, move along, paste it all with the keyboard, but then to change one or two notes i have to get clicking.

How about ALT left and ALT right ? (would this keypress be caught rather than navigate the page?) if not perhaps another method?

Thanks

Paul

• sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every menu and every command could have a keyboard shortcut - eliminate the mouse as much as possible.

• whatsisface commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not just swapped, but sometimes I just want to move one portion into the other voice, I should be able to highlight it and click something to have it change voices.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many important shortcuts(like [ and ]) don't work for non-US users, because we have no such key!

• Supperman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I have problems with finding the shortcuts on my keyboard, as I don't have an English keyboard, but a Swedish one. For example, when I press [, the note doesn't get shorter, but it receives a double sharp. Therefore, I would like a setting that allows you to choose from various keyboard layouts.

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When using multiple voices on a staff, I often accidentally enter notes for the upper voice when I meant to enter them for the lower one. It would be good if I could then hit a key and have the two voices swapped. Sometimes you don't realise this is a problem until you try to do a tie accross a bar line.

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With different keyboards change the keyboard shortcuts. In the "help" must be taken into account or create a choice of keyboard used

• Ragnar Ståhle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The keys [ and ] are certainly fine to use on an English keyboard, but using my Swedish keyboard they won't work. ( ) and < > are good even here, if you can make them alternativs.

• johnfrench commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's very nice but I don't like firefox very much, and I think the majority of mac users use safari. I know it is possible- google docs does use command-key shortcuts in safari- and I'd love to see it in noteflight.

• johnfrench commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of using ctrl, on a mac, the  (command, cloverleaf, apple, whatever you want to call it) key should be used. I can't get used to using the ctrl key, and it's confusing that noteflight is inconsistent with my computer.

Feedback and Knowledge Base