I wish Noteflight would...

improve keyboard shortcuts

There are a lot of functions that should have a keyboard shortcut, but don't:
anything in the menu. (ex. change clef)
moving up/down staves
move to the beginning or end of the piece
move to the next section or page, or perhaps jump eight measures in strip layout
go to measure number
move staff up or down
select multiple staves

217 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

44 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • albert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to move between staffs and parts without using the mouse as it is more efficient.

• Chris Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely add a shortcut to bowing markings. If you go back over a part to add bowings, it would save a ton of time if you didn't have to reach for the mouse for every single marking. I suggest RH on the arrow keys and make the shortcut a LH key

• Soupey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some people use different notation elements a lot more than others, and I think adding the ability to change/add/remove hotkeys should make composing a lot smoother.
        For example, I'd be able to setup the score to add a new measure after the current one every time I press ), or I could put in the "pedal down" thing when I press ctrl+d. This should be up in the top right of the score (where the zoom, help, connect, etc. buttons are), and there would also be a reset button as well to restore the standard hotkeys.

• Robert “Ridge” Garner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SO this would be very easy. I've checked, and the number keys/ number pad is not used in any shortcuts thus far. NOTE/REST LENGTHS could and should coincide with various NUMBERS on the keyboard. 1 = WHOLE NOTE, as this note value is listed first. 2 = HALF NOTE, and so on. COULD EVEN MAKE THIS WHERE numbers 1-5 are NOTE LENGHTS, and 6-0 are REST LENGTHS.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe I'm the one who submitted this. Six and a half years is a pretty long time, but... better late than never! Still looking forward to this.

• Chase Richardson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So,there are several hotkeys that Noteflight has already, which is really nice. I love being able to just hit a key to make what I want. However, there are some features that I would like to have a hotkey for that simply don't.

For example, for someone who carts drums a lot, I use the open cymbal quite frequently. But it's honestly very annoying when I have to click all the notes that I want and click open, but if I want them accented, I can just hit a single key and be done with it.

At the same time, I may be making a song that doesn't need that many staccato markings, but needs a lot of arpeggios. It would be nice if I were able to just designate the staccato marking with another key and then use that key for my arpeggios.

Hopefully y'all agree. I've been using Noteflight for the past two years for all different kinds of arrangements, and it's one of the best tools out there in my opinion.

• Pronghorn5 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use pedal a lot in my compositions, and it can be annoying to find the pedal button in the menus every time I want to use it. Could there please be a shortcut for it? Thanks!

• Chris S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanx for your prompt response. That is certainly a way to add a bar at the end if you are working in the last bar. In other notation programs I have found it useful to be able to add bars at the end of a piece with a keyboard shortcut regardless of cursor position. I will endeavor to use your suggestion,. Thanx again.

• Chris S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a trifle onerous to take your hands from the keyboard and access the drop down menu with the mouse just to add measures to the score.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be extremely helpful to have keyboard shortcuts for:
        -add measures
        -change key signature
        -change time signature
        -PEDAL MARKING FOR PIANO

• Chris Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you are entering notation. Every time that you have to take your fingers off of the keyboard and move to the mouse, you are losing time. It would be nice if there were a keyboard shortcut to add measures at the end of the piece or after a selected bar. Not only does it take time to do this with the mouse, sometimes there is another object in the way of the plus pin that happens at the edges of each bar.

• Ryan Chen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not know about all functions that can be performed on the keyboard.
        Can noteflight create a guide/book including all button functions and what they are used for

• Dorian Mohar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot count how many times I have tried to click the little minus sign, only to lose it to the upper stave. Please create a keyboard shortcut for the delete measure command.

• Karissa Soo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Primarily, I use Finale (by MakeMusic); I have recently started using NoteFlight to do work for my music theory class and for the most part have been impressed by all the features it has to offer, as I was expecting a much larger drop in product quality simply because it is free. (I apologize for the underestimation.)

However, even though learning new keyboard shortcuts shouldn't be a problem, it would be extra-nice if, say, Finale and Sibelius keyboard shortcut configurations were available for selection as well.

The one feature that is missing, however, from the currently available keyboard-accessible actions is changing the "next-input" note duration. Entering a series of 4 quarter notes followed by 2 half notes, followed by 4 quarter notes followed by 2 half notes, etc. can get rather tedious because I'd either have to switch to keyboard to click the quarter note or half note every three notes, or I'd have to use the ] and [ keys on either the 2 half notes or the 4 quarter notes. Neither of these options seems very convenient when I'm used to using my numpad keys to change note durations (including tuplets)!

Oh and I almost forgot. A keyboard shortcut for switching between staves would be great too.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreeing with comments here. menu items should have keyboard equivalents where possible. But also things which are not in the menus (and wouldn't be like moving between staves, goto beginning or end of piece, etc), should be possible via keystrokes.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base