I wish Noteflight would...

to review Noteflight Crescendo

Noteflight users submitted ideas so that they could use the ideas for free. Now, Cresendo has basically "taken away" the ideas and used them for Noteflight's profit. I like the idea of new instruments, etc., but only if they were for free. I thought Noteflight's purpose was to help everyone receive free music composing online software. I am very disappointed. Please review your decision. I really don't want to have to pay for such a great program like Noteflight

42 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  AdminRobin McClellan (Admin, Noteflight) responded  · 

I want to be very clear that no one will have to pay for Noteflight. We are not taking away the free version, and we will be continuing to add functionality to both the free and paid version.

Unfortunately we do need to make a profit in order for a free version to exist at all. Noteflight costs money to operate and to keep improving, and we can’t do it alone!

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RobFJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think there's an awful lot of fuss here over paying an annual fee that amounts to less than most people spend on junk food in a few weeks.
        I checked out the free online version for a while and decided it was well worth it for me to have the extra bells and whistles and I'm so far quite happy with the decision. Still exploring to see all the capabilities but the ability to work with individual parts alone is worth it for me. Not to mention the higher quality instrument and voice sounds.

• Dennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that if it should be paid for, It should at least be easier to use- the logo and menu bars take up too much space, the note input is difficult to use, and it isn't intergratable with other music softwares. Please improve them. I suggest you use an imput system that uses tools in a side bar rather than a list underneath the mouse.

I like the idea and will continue to use noteflight for composing while traveling, but it will never replace my home software without major improvements.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the admin might have misunderstood the comment. We fully appreciate Noteflight being free, but when we post ideas to the forums, we'd like to be able to use them. A lot of these suggestions have been made added features for crescendo users alone. I am very aware of how hard it is to make a profit off of an ad-free website, but could you at least reconsider things that are necessary to professional sheet music like multi-measure rests and rehearsal numbers?

• jyuan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have suggested a plethora of features on this feedback site with the expectation of being able to use those features. However, you have implemented these features on a new paid service... one that we didn't support.

Can we have our ideas back??

• Tuneflyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To offer ANYTHING FOR FREE in this capitalist nightmare is exceptional. And a program as exceptional as Noteflight is amazing. We should bow down in gratitude to have these tools for free. And the cost for Crescendo seems modest — a couple bottles of moderately OK wine, or . . .

• Andru commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only thing I am really angery about is the fact that the free version contains the orchestral bass and the electric bass but not the tuba. The tuba is a very important part of an orchestra and should be included in the free version. There is a bass and an electric bass and an acoustic guitar, but you have to have the paid version to get the electric guitar which makes no sense to me.

• Ian Hulett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah. I get angry at this too. But what keeps me coming to this site is that they do this for our own good. They charge us for Crescendo because to keep noteflight running, it requires money. Now I look at this way. Crescendo is fighting against being Shut Down. Crescendo is the army. Noteflight is the leader of the army. The leader relies on the army to stand a chance in a war against the enemy "Shut Down" and it's army. Noteflight is the ruler. "Shut Down" wants to take over and destroy Noteflight forever. So that's where crescendo comes in. Noteflight is offering everybody a chance to be apart of the crescendo military for $49 a year. Money would be the deadly weapons that helps out with the everlasting fight with the enemy "Shut Down." So with noteflight users upgrading to crescendo and giving money, Crescendo and Noteflight has the weapons to continue battling the enemy "Shut Down." So therefore Noteflight can beat the enemy and therefore Noteflight can stay in Power. So look at it this way. Upgrade to crescendo, and you can still use Noteflight. Don't upgrade and say bye bye to noteflight. So because I have this metaphor, I am actually happy about crescendo. I don't have money right now but I will get a job and upgrade to Crescendo. No questions asked.

• cjo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I, too, can see the original poster's point. Having free access to an awesome program was a great opportunity, one that we should all be thankful for. The builders of Noteflight have no obligation to offer anything for free, even if they could continue without a revenue stream.
        However, you did seek feedback for a long time from users. I think we all thought we'd someday get to see those ideas come to fruition. We were all happy to offer our ideas and use the software with frustrating limitations b/c we were happy to be part of the improvement process.
        Then, suddenly, there was an entirely distinct, for-purchase product that incorporated many of the ideas we had all submitted. Don't you think that goes against the spirit of the free-for-all, on-line collaboration model?
        What's more, we who had been using Noteflight and helping you make it better (I, for one, offered constructive feedback and told everyone I know how awesome Noteflight was) were then limited to 25 scores and lost the ability to share scores with specific users. So the claim that we would continue to have the same software as always is untrue.
        Anyway, I do wish hope we continue to see improvements to Noteflight, not just to Crescendo.

• NickKaplan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand this Joe and it is a very good point, however, I have seen very little improvement to the free version, while Crescendo has a lot of new perks. I love this software very much and I'm glad you offer a paid version to keep it running, but I can really see eye to eye with this anonymous person ion this one.

Feedback and Knowledge Base