I wish Noteflight would...

Allow ritards and accelerandos

Near the end of the piece I like to add ritards. It brings a feeling of resolution that cannot be replaced. In the middle sometimes pieces sound better just a little faster.

1,319 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    lalalydia shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kyle Cabral commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It'd be nice if the control for this was a series of sliders (like an EQ). That way you can customize how the rit/accel is played since ritardandos and accelerandos are rarely expressed linearly.

• Phil Phan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not that they need to be allowed, they need to work and be useful. Noteflight's work here should really just be to create a way to control it, and then give that control to us so each of use can design exactly how fast or how slow we want something to get and of course it should evenly gain speed if it's going from one tempo to the next

• James Munroe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an absolutely critical feature in any music notator or MIDI editor that claims to be comprehensive. Without it, it is not professional grade.

• Emerson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ritards sound so nice at the end of a song. I've played it before and it sounds good

• Zenog-NoteflightFeedback commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And this would be why (apart from the better instrument catalog) Noteflight Crescendo is better than NF Basic. We can functionally have crescendos, diminuendos, ritards, and accelerandos by just putting in the desired dynamic or tempo markings and then hiding them and putting the symbol for it over where you have the hidden stuff. It works! I've been working on it in some of my pieces to add more texture to the piece (I used that right, didn't I? Texture?).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love this piece of music, very pretty and beautiful for
        ballet or even a gymnastics floor routine :)

• Stephen F. Czapla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's possible to change the tempo of any given measure. You can do a slow ritard by dropping the tempo a few beats from one measure to the next. It would be nice if we could have rubato. The playback would be less mechanical if here and there we could select a group of notes to accel, or stretch a rest for a bit longer than the default value.

• schumaniac z commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a pretty old suggestion. Accelerandos and ritardandos are already features in Noteflight/Crescendo.

• composer2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would still be hard to do tempo changes, though, because they have no idea exactly how slow/fast you want it to go. Fermatas, though, they could default to twice the length of the given not

• dptarvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes that will help, I also have a post about fermatas. If you guys could review the ritards/accel. and fermata at the same time that would be great! Fermatas are great for ending phrases or in the middle of a piece to make it more expressive.

• Amala Musica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea; it would add a lot of nice effect. But i really dont see how you could do this online. Maybe there could be a way to set the rate it slows down.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base