I wish Noteflight would...

make it easier to write music.

I signed up and sat down to do some composing and quickly figured out that the UX of this program is laughable. I found myself having to switch back and forth between edit and play modes, and wondering why it took way too long to simply place a note. Two clicks to add an accidental? Trying to set a note value changed the previous note. And trying to reseat a note when I'd accidentally changed it was a nightmare. Spend less on marketing and more on making sure your product is industry standard before trying to charge for it.

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminRobin McClellan (Admin, Noteflight) responded  · 

Hi James, thank you for reaching out – we always appreciate this kind of feedback! We are sorry that it has been frustrating, and I want to share a few thoughts that may help.

Switching between play and edit mode is different than in Noteflight than in some other notation programs – I was a longtime Sibelius user myself, and this took a little getting used to in Noteflight, but I started to really appreciate it because it helped clarify my process in terms of when I was editing versus listening.

The slow note entry should not be happening. This depends on which browser you’re using, and we’ve found that people using the latest version of Chrome don’t have trouble with this. Could you try that and let me know how it goes?

For accidentals and similar things, I highly recommend our keyboard shortcuts – here is a list: https://www.noteflight.com/guide#shortcuts.

Setting a note value should not change the previous note – always be sure you’ve selected the note you need by clicking on it – sometimes in continuous note entry mode your actions will affect the next note, but you will get used to this. It’s worth reviewing our note entry process here: https://www.noteflight.com/guide#quickStart

I’d be happy to share more thoughts to help get this working. We are always improving and updating our product, and we’d love any other feedback you have. Please write to me at support@noteflight.com. Thank you!

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base