I wish Noteflight would...

Add dynamic support within a note

As of now, Noteflight playback doesn't allow for crescendo/decrescendo on a single tone or throughout a trill. It would be great to have that feature.

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Quinn Levy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is from 2015 and this is still an issue. If you're testing to see if something will sound the way you want it to, you want noteflight to play it how its written and not maintain the same dynamic

• AdminRobin McClellan (Admin, Noteflight) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Brian, thank you for your note. I want to be sure I understand your specific need here: if you are writing for a live performance, Noteflight will work just fine: you can certainly write a decrescendo or crescendo and the performers will have the correct notation for the effect you need.
        The only limitation here is in Noteflight's MIDI playback sounds. If you are opening Noteflight and pressing play during the showcase, that is when you would have the problem with this feature.

Have I understood correctly? Please let us know! Thank you.

• Bryan Alvarez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm helping my students compose a piece of music that ends with a snare roll for two measures and fades out. This is for our winter showcase attended by all families and staff. I'm supposed to be making a case for Noteflight software in my music classes but I can't get it to do what the students want -- a decrescendo on the final drum roll.

I second the urgent need for this feature: dynamic changes during sustained and tied notes, please.

• Thomas Lim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Making changes such as decrescendos and crescendos in ties, and also ,be able to make it more customizalbe to decrescendo and crescendo.

• KingWut117 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is very difficult to create a slow, lyrical or choral piece in Noteflight because notes cannot change volume. You can't take a whole note at ff and decrescendo to ppp. I think this REALLY limits playback quality for many pieces. Please consider supporting this so we can create more beautiful pieces.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has annoyed me greatly. For those of us (like me) who aren't as talented at getting around this issue as others, this causes a lot of restriction on the way our music sounds.

• Engineer202 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When the dynamics don't allow for example a whole note to get louder or softer partway though. This is something that affects how in some cases like a Fp->crescendo->F just stays F and the mood of the song is ruined.

• Aidan Collett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that by adding crescendos and diminuendos on whole notes and half notes as well as adding working sfz's will make the scores on noteflight more diverse and interesting to listen to.

Feedback and Knowledge Base