I wish Noteflight would...

have the ability to produce a keyboard/piano reduction of the parts in the rest of the score

I'm working on an a cappella SATB choral score. I would prefer to give our accompanist a piano reduction of the parts, rather than making her read four different vocal lines. I was hoping there would be a way to do this in Noteflight, but it appears that I have to input all of the parts individually again (this time on the piano staff) to create this piano part.

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ryan Kaminski shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminRobin McClellan (Admin, Noteflight) responded  · 

Hello,

We don’t offer full automation for this, but with our current tools you would only need to re-enter two of the parts: copy-paste one of the upper parts to the piano treble staff, and one of the lower parts to bass, and then add the other two.

Hope that helps a bit!

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nathan Baxter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, you CAN create a full piano reduction without having to completely re-enter the notes. Using the UPPER and LOWER voice tool, you can copy and paste each voice part to make the piano part. Just an FYI, by default, everything you create is already in the UPPER voice.

So... copy the SOPRANO line and paste it on the treble clef of the piano part. Then copy the ALTO line, click on the treble clef of the piano part, select LOWER voice and then paste it on the same treble clef of the piano part. The same thing works for the TENOR and BASS parts on the bass clef.

As you go back and forth between lines of music, just be aware of what voice part your layering (i.e. UPPER or LOWER). Again, in most cases you have created all of your parts -by default- in UPPER voice. So you have to go back and select UPPER voice when you copy the part you want to paste. THEN click on the measure and clef you're copying to FIRST and then select UPPER or LOWER voice as needed when you're ready to paste that part to the new line of music.

I hope this makes sense. If not you're welcome to email me: nbaxter@uinta1.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base