I wish Noteflight would...

Problem exporting MusicXML file to Finale - "dotted" tag

I exported a score from NoteFlight in MusicXML format, and Finale encountered an error when importing that MusicXML file. I investigated further, and discovered the problem. I have a metronome notation in the score, where I said a dotted half-note equals 52 beats per minute. NoteFlight exported this in the MusicXML file as:

<metronome>
<beat-unit>half</beat-unit>
<per-minute>52</per-minute>
<dotted/>
</metronome>

When Finale v25.5 (latest version) tries to import this file, it reports an error when it encounters the "<dotted>" tag in the XML file. And indeed, when I when I looked up the list of MusicXML tags at "www.musicxml.com/for-developers/alphabetical-index", there is no "<dotted>" tag listed there. Instead, MusicXML (and Finale) are expecting the "<beat-unit-dot>" tag, and is also expecting the "<beat-unit-dot>" tag to come right after the "<beat-unit> tag (not after the "<per-minute>" tag. So, I hand-edited the MusicXML file from NoteFlight to change the above section to say this instead:

<metronome>
<beat-unit>half</beat-unit>
<beat-unit-dot/>
<per-minute>52</per-minute>
</metronome>

When I made the above change by hand to the MusicXML file produced by NoteFlight, Finale was able to import the XML file just fine.

In reading the version history of the official attributes in MusicXML, it appears that "<beat-unit-dot>" has been around since MusicXML 1.0, but I don't see any mention of a "<dotted>" tag. (Was "<dotted>" maybe an early MusicXML tag that was later deprecated ?)

So, my suggestion: Please change NoteFlight so that, when exporting a dotted note for a metronome notation in a MusicXML file, it uses the official MusicXML "<beat-unit-dot>" tag per above, and please place "<beat-unit-dot>" immediately after the "<beat-unit> tag, instead of exporting a "<dotted>" tag. Many thanks!

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Randy Forgaard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base