I wish Noteflight would...

allow entering notes via a "piano roll"

Currently my workflow starts with Cockos Reaper, where I create my arrangement using the "Piano Roll" feature. Each of my instruments is a different color-coded track, and I compose by selecting which track I want to draw notes (colored bars) onto. Next, I export as MIDI. Next I import into MuseScore and export a MusicXML file. My last step is importing that into NoteFlight for creating a legible score that I can clean up. I'd love to not have to:

1) Arrange in Program A.
2) Convert from MIDI to MusicXML in Program B (because Noteflight's MIDI import leaves a LOT to be desired)
3) Import the MusicXML file into Noteflight

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Krys Petrie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anita E Kohli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have problems with my hands and therefore with using the mouse and like the note flight editor as it helps me work with minimal mouse usage.

• imaginEyes! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had always used sequencer-based recording programs and actively avoided notation, not understanding it and believing it to be an inferior and restrictive way of recording music. Finding myself in a situation for a month in which I had no viable options other than Noteflight for making music, I forced myself to learn notation. I've been subsequently become enamored with it (AND with Noteflight!), realizing that I can do anything I can think of using it. Today, I do things musically that I don't know I would ever have done any other way. Yes, I guess I'm what you might call a convert. Can't thank you enough, Joe!

• Joe Berkovitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're not as ignorant as you so rudely assume. We've all used piano roll editors here. Our feeling is that you're welcome to use a sequencer if you want to. Sequencers capture performance data, while notation editors capture a composer's intentions.

We are constantly looking at ways of making notation editing easier with the mouse, including applying ideas from piano-roll editors.

• ern0 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have you ever seen a sequencer? Have you ever worked with sequencer? Have you ever seen anyone composing music with computer?

Kick off your musician consultant as soon as possible. (If there's no such, hire one for the project.)

What is Piano Roll? It looks like that:
        http://sequenceur-generaliste.cakewalk.audiofanzine.com/produits/tests/cakewalk_sonar2/PianoRoll_large.gif

Why Piano Roll is better than Score Edit:

1. It's faster to work with Piano Roll:

In Score Edit you have to choose notation type, then set the modifiers: legato, staccato. You have to choose same things for pauses.

In Piano Roll, you just drag the tail of the bar, and set the length. Pauses are the gaps appear "automatically" between the bars, you haven't deal with them.

2. Piano Roll is more accurate

In Score Edit you can not slide the beginning and the end of the note out-of-grid position. You can't make a pseudo-delay effect by sliding notes a bit (or you have to insert 1/32 or 1/64 pause, which makes the score ugly and "not true"). You can't set staccato length, you can't set legato gap/overlap size and so on.

In Piano Roll, all the things are possible by dragging the head or tail of the bar to the appropiate position.

3. Piano Roll is easier to understand for a non-musician

There're very few people can read score. Writing score is even harder work.

4. Piano Roll is standard

Just try out any sequencer. They starts up with - an empty - piano roll.

Feedback and Knowledge Base