I wish Noteflight would...

create a 5-line percussion staff that includes instruments like triangle, tambourine, and shakers/maracas.

I'm working on a song for my band class and I'd like them to hear the actual sounds of a triangle and tambourine rather than a splash cymbal and a closed hi-hat. These are standard instruments and need to be added to a dedicated percussion staff. We also need to be able to have the snare and the bass drum playing different rhythms at the same time on the staff. This is how percussion parts are written.

37 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Serge Puchinsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is important - if you want to sell to band directors as an alternative to Smart Music, playback sounds for the entire band - which includes the percussion section is absolutely necessary. Simple and basic sounds like tambourine, maracas, and triangle should be here already! I also noticed that regular percussion playback - flams, rolls, etc. is not consistent - the multiple bounce stroke works on a quarter note, but not on an 8th or 16th - this is how these rhythms and rudiments are introduced in most lesson books. There are work arounds - but the student doesn't get to see the correct rhythm or they don't get top hear it.

• AdminRobin McClellan (Admin, Noteflight) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We will work on this! For now, you can add these for how the score LOOKS, even though not for playback sounds:

Create a new instrument from an existing one that is similar (for example, create a trombone if you need bass trombone). Before closing the dialog, change the "key" to the transposition you need, or the octave (for the bass). Also change the names. The instrument will then look and behave like the instrument you need.

• adrian.lim-klumpes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add these! I am a Noteflight Learn teacher with 400+ students and the fact there is no tambourine, triangle or maraca leaves so many orchestral basics out!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These are such staple orchestral percussion instruments, I don't think Noteflight earns justice without these. Also, hopefully the triangle should have separate closed and open sounds, and the tambourine should have a quality shaking sound. Thanks for your acknowledgment!

• Saharo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This instrument adds so much to pieces, and it is by far my favorite percussion instrument! The sound it creates can add a whole new layer of style and atmosphere to pieces, especially period pieces. @Pianoplayer's score "Pirates!" would not be the same without this instrument (He could only utilize the sound because he was using Sibelius for the synchronized audio) and it really deserves to be recognized on Noteflight.

Thank you!

Feedback and Knowledge Base