I wish Noteflight would...

Add voice(s) as an instument. SATB

SATB as well as a singular voice part would be ideal.

519 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Joe Berkovitz responded  · 

We have posted the first 2 of our 6 new vocal samples today: Male and Female choirs on the syllable “aah”! The other 4 (M/F “ooh”/“oh”) should be available next week…

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ziddy6 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe, they could record a full SATB choir singing each and every note/note value. The only problem would be 32nd notes/64th notes and on. They could use the same recording method that the companies who sold them the recordings of instruments used. Or, Noteflight could suggest that those companies record SATB choir voices.

• J S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see what you are saying; like the option to insert an SATB part like a piano part where they all come in at once, even though you would edit them separately.

• Alex Purser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a "doo" or "da" would be awesome so that the rhythm could be heard better than a plain Oo or Ah

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe you could call it a "Hmm". Like someone humming along. Or an "Ooo" or "Ahh", you know the sound of a person singing "Ooo" and "Ahh". I would think that the creators of Noteflight would have a ball finding the right digital thingy that would sound a little like a hmm, an ooo or an ahh as a vocal aid! Good luck, Noteflight!!

from stephie@telia.com

• Jason Euresti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would just like to add one individual part like a Descant, every time I add a part above the staff, it adds a part to everything. I can't delete the other ones either. This is so frustrating.

• Chris Chater commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lower school classroom users are getting excited about the sounds and especially recycled percussion which allows for some very stimulating effects - one song is even called 'Yeah!' as it uses the utterance a lot... Well that's a voice, sort of...

• ChoirMember commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can already do this by adding a part, selecting an instrument, and relabeling it. I use flute for Soprano, oboe for Alto, Trumpet for Tenor 1 (set to C), Guitar for Tenor 2, Trombone for Bass 1, and Bassoon for Bass 2. Haven't picked a Soprano 2 or Alto 2 yet, I'll probably be forced to use Viola or Cello or something and change the default clef notation. The latter 2 may cause transposition problems on export or if changing instruments; I had that happen when trying to use one or the other of them (forget which) and ended up having to delete the part and start over with a different instrument. The ones I've been using so far have been working in export or if you change instruments without causing problems. However I've about run out of instrument options. How about a piccolo? A French Horn? Soprano, Alto, and Tenor recorder? (on the free side)

So far you can fairly well pick a part out when playing all parts because each sounds a little different. I found if I used flute for both Soprano 1 and Soprano 2 though that it doubles the volume for that part and you can't really hear much of the rest or the accompaniment. Also if you export as XML and reimport back into Noteflight, you PERMANENTLY lose the ability to label all parts. It's in the XML but Noteflight no longer displays it.

• vroom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ooh (as in 'too'), aah (as in 'ta), doo-di-doo would be welcome voice instruments.

• Corey Zev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see vocal options in the instruments.
        I dont care if they sound like voices. A piano sound is MORE THAN ENOUGH. Certainly until you decide to add a voice synth.

Add a single instrument line. Provide the options to choose: treble clef, treble down an octave (men), and bass clef. And minimally, provide the choice to label a line as Sop, Alto, Tenor, Bass.

I arrange for a cappella groups. I used to separate the piano lines and use that, but I cannot anymore. I would love to use this program every day, but you do not support vocal parts.

You need a custom instrument option that uses piano sounds. Which we can assign a clef, key, and name.

Key point, I dont care if there is a vocal synth. I just need the labels to work! And to assign a clef.

• Chris C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hess.anne's request is already catered for using Multiple Voices, but I found I had to set it up for each new bar. Unfortunately the lyrics then interfere with the alto line, and can't be moved. That is my request: enable lyrics to be moved and to be different for each part, which is sometimes neessary.

• Daniel Au commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i think there should be one although a sample would be hard. i just want to be able to put a voice part on my music so i can use it when i print it

• Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! I love to compose a capella SATB pieces and would like to try orchestral with choral and it would be very amazing to have the voice instrument. Even though it may sound terrible, it would be beneficial to here how a choral piece sounds if it had that feature instead of using other instruments. Also, you could have a separate male and female voice instrument. Even though it may sound terrible but it helps a bit.

• hess.anne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. I would very much like to be able to input SATB chorale style music with the stems going down for Alto and Bass parts and up for Tenor and Soprano. This would be an extremely useful feature for teaching theory. I wouldn't care if the playback were on piano, but being able to manipulate the direction of the stems would be great.

• George Quinn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is in finale and did not work to well. You get switched to a men's voice as soon as you get to a D in soprano parts and it does not sound good.

• musicguyguy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Usually voice samples are terrible. The only fairly good sound set I've found is Yamaha's Vocaloid.
        In most cases, voices are replaced by woodwind instruments such as flute, oboe, bassoon, etc.

• Markus Nyman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The voice samples I have encountered are typically unsuitable for faster passages. If voices are added as an instrument (I hope this too), I wish they were suited not only for slow passages, but florid counterpoint as well.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base