I wish Noteflight would...

Stop the hi-hat audio when a hi-hat is "closed"

As a drummer, I often find myself frustrated with the fact that when I play an open hi-hat note, and want a sort of "tee-op" sound by closing the hi-hat soon afterwards (usually a 16th or 8th note later), the audio does not cut off and I have to listen to it ring throughout the beat until the actual audio sample ends. My suggestion would just be to cut it off when a "hi-hat with foot" or a closed hi-hat (+) is notated, if not use an actual audio sample for the cut-off. I made a quick score that shows this problem, and why it is obnoxious when incorporated in a beat. If this could be fixed I would be ecstatic!
Here is the score: http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/159b4c9c90527866035017b5c4c6d9b1e7323162

82 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • drfangaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Export the audio into your DAW of choice. Afterwards, try using a gate effects plugin on the imported audio track of your DAW to control the decay of the open hats.

• Winfree03 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Hi-Hat, whenever played open, should stop playing open whenever you write a closed Hi-Hat. This sometimes makes it frustrating to write music, and multiple hi-hat sounds overlap

Thanks!

~Winfree03

• Will Boender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I am not a fan of the open hi-hat sound on the crescendo standard kit. I prefer the sound from the basic kit, but it's just an opinion. Once again, I may not be the only one, but a change would be nice. Also, the audio should stop when the hi-hat closes again.

• Cornelius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely agree. I was just about to post the same and then i saw this one. This would help a ton.

• Brotherharry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seconded on Hi-Hat closing, most annoying when trying to score funky stuff. Score should recognise that if an open hat is followed by a non-open note, it needs to cut the preceding open hat voice or, at the very least obey the note length being used.

Would also prefer the open symbol to enclose the note, rather than float above it.

• kombachi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Duncan: I have searched thru thousands of hi hat samples looking for what I believe you're describing, that clean break when the hi hat transitions from open to closed with a swoosh, typically leading to a silence dynamic. If anyone knows of samples that might contain this type of professional hi hat work, will you please post a link?

• drum177 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's very annoying sometimes to have the sound of an open hi hat overlapping into the next one or two, even three closed hi hat notes. From a drummer's standpoint, at least. My wish is that the audio could be cut off when a closed note (+) is played right after (maybe an 8th or 16th note), whether it be a closed hi hat note or the hi hat foot pedal. This needs to be addressed.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

whenever i use the hi-hat and the cymbals i always have make another drum staff so
    I can make the hi-hat less overpowing. If you guys could look into this, that would be great! Thanks

Feedback and Knowledge Base