I wish Noteflight would...

Stop Grace Notes being linked to tempo

Just notated a piece at 60bmp, and the grace notes i have added (love grace notes feature by the way !) are too slow, almost like 32nd notes and note 'grace' note enough for the piece!
Is this a bug or intentional?
If intentional it would be great to either have the option to unlink this feature and always have the grace notes very fast - or have some kind of 0-100% slider for grace note to tempo relationship perhaps?

Thanks

Paul

1,437 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    pmatzpmatz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Jordi BartoloméJordi Bartolomé responded  · 

There is a new menu in the HTML5 editor called Playback Options which lets you choose the grace notes length and if you want it linked to the tempo or not.

We hope you like it!

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stephen F. CzaplaStephen F. Czapla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually it is a 32nd note. The only work-around I've found is to score it as a 64th note preceded by a double-dot. See bars 55-59:

http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/bb30b8349b8843c356b129ad20c2d13fa5837246

I think a 64th is a bit too fast but much closer anyway. Still, that's in a midtempo piece. At a higher tempo a 64th would fly right past with the note barely articulated at all. Plus it's ugly and harder to read, which is why we have a separate notation for them in the first place.

I like the variable slider idea. Noteflight has a slider for swing 8ths, but I believe that's a global setting. Ideally we could highlight a grace note and assign a value. (Slight deviations here and there would make the playback sound more human. Or maybe we could opt in or out of that--leave the slider where we last set it until we change it.) Even a global but variable setting for grace notes would be better than what we have right now.

• ziddy6ziddy6 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very annoying. It does sound like a mere 32nd note, or even a 16th note.

Feedback and Knowledge Base