Improve multiple Voices tool
When I use an upper voice, ties on the lower voice will not hold through a barline but the upper voice will hold the ties. Fixing this would be great! Thanks is advanced.
Chris harries commented
For classical guitar and lute (and perhaps other instruments?) there are times when the music carries three or four voices in parallel. I think Noteflight only has options for setting an upper and lower voice, that's all. I'm completely stumped when I'm transcribing music that's written in four voices. (This is very common in renaissance music, for instance.)
Grant Cahoon commented
When you write an upper and lower voice on one staff, it would be nice to be able to copy and paste it and then delete all of the upper or all of the lower voice for the whole line or score.
AdminRobin McClellan (Admin, Noteflight) commented
This is on our list!
Jorrell Bonner commented
This sucks! You really need to improve this. It's such a natural way humans think and musicians write that it should absolutely be an option (to implode multiple staves into one and vice versa). Do it now! Get a team of coders on it asap!
Be able to highlight two staffs and "implode" them into one with two voices or have two voices on a staff and explode them onto their own individual staffs.
This is a bug where:
1. I select multiple measures.
2. I filter one voice.
3. I cut or delete it.
4. NoteFlight freezes and I have to close the window without saving.
AdminJoe Berkovitz (Admin, Noteflight) commented
Thanks, some good points here. We are well aware of some of the limitations you pointed out. A couple of relevant bits of info:
- A few months ago we did fix the "R" feature to work with a single voice, if only that voice is selected. And it is now possible to copy and paste between voices. This is described in our docs.
- You can also have a voice end in the middle of a measure by using the Hide feature on the Crescendo Colors palette to hide the rests.
Since none of these have been getting any notice, I created a new feedback thread with all the ideas for fixing voicing in it. I ask that everyone who voted on this vote on that instead so that the cumulative votes will get more attention.
This is a combination of several different ideas I've seen:
1. fix the writing errors (using 'r' to write in one voice deletes the other, copy/paste doesn't work between voices)
2. ability to add upper or lower voice to several measures at once (when they are highlighted)
And some new things:
1. We should be able to have the voice end in the middle of the measure without having a bunch of extra rests.
2. On piano or harp, sometimes voices can enter the other staff. In this instance, the unused staff won't have rests, and if the transition is connected by a beam, it will be in between the staves (with the bass clef notes coming down from it and the treble clef notes stemming up).
3. We should generally have more freedom with note placement. Add the ability to have notes outside of the basic rules (look at "Wedding Day at Troldhaugen" by Grieg).
If anyone has any more ideas to do with VOICING, please add them to the comments.
Sumit Madan commented
Noteflight allows to remove a voice but not copy and paste between voices. I may want to combine two parts into a single part using two voices. Currently noteflight replaces everything inside the measures when using a copy/paste command. I guess what I want is that copy/paste should be sensitive to the currently active voice and should only act on that.
Cash, Savannah commented
Its really annoying when I want to have two voices and already have each written out, and then I have to put them together in one. Can you make it so that it is possible to paste into a voice?