I wish Noteflight would...

Braces/brackets for instrument groups

The piano has a brace. How about for instrument groups too ie. vocals, brass, strings and woodwind. It would look so much more professionally produced for printing scores.

134 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chandra Grover shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SarahNBUA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This proposed feature would really be useful to visually separate a voice solo from choral lines.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "break bar lines after part" only makes it so the lines dividing measures do not continue all the down the score. So, you can distinguish the parts that way. However, Noteflight doesn't allow you to bracket the sections and it should because brackets are standard notation formatting for orchestral scores. I honestly don't understand why Noteflight does not have this feature. It makes the scores look way more professional.

Here's an example of what bracketed sections should look like: file:///Users/almalabuser/Downloads/BeSymphony5ALLFirst.pdf Each section has a [ indicating that all instruments in that group are sectioned together.

• Mr. Tait commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Open the Instruments menu, and then click the pencil symbol to edit track information. Look for the checkbox that says "break bar lines after part" - toggling this should help you do what you're looking to do. Hope this helps!

I write mostly music for choirs, and am forced to copy the work to MuseScore in order to print it because of the lack of proper square brackets :( But otherwise I prefer noteflight, so this would really make my music making easier.

This would be very helpful when writing for an orchestra/concert band/big band because you could put instrument groups together, such as saxophones/low brass/trumpets.

I think that this is a "must add" for Noteflight's next update.
        Anyone else wondering why this hasn't already been included?

There should be a "Brace" button to click after highlighting the required staffs (say first and second violin or the trombones etc.) that would bracket them together as the piano and harp staffs already are. The bar line breaks help though. Thanks!

• Dennis Christofer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding some votes to this one. This would be particularly useful for making it clear that two guitar parts (one in part and one in tab) are destined to the same instrument.

• Coby Lovelace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you choose piano as an instrument, it gives you the bass and treble clef, which are linked together. I really want to be able to link the treble and bass together in a bracket for other instruments.

• Владимир Захаров commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For instance, when I compose a symphonic metal piece, I'd like to have separate instrument groups for the orchestral instruments and for guitars/drums/etc. Thus I can quickly switch between them when muting or showing individual parts, without having to click multiple checkboxes every time.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DAVID HERE! I made a typo. I meant to say barline breaks. But stupid autocorrect said it was barking. Sorry about that.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only brackets that noteflight gives is with piano, like this, { But I wish that it would be possible to put those brackets on parts of our choice, and have the option to use brackets like this, [ What do you think?

P.S. I also want some help figuring out barking breaks.

• DrFro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many scores require that like instruments be grouped together with a brace or bracket. Additionally, staff lines should break at each group, providing much needed white space between each grouping.

• jazzitup7 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to group together like parts and instruments with braces and brackets. It would be more organized, and it would make music easier to write.

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if the users could place their own curly braces linking staves. For example, if I create a score with violin, viola, and cello parts, and turn off the display of part names, I could then use the setup for organ music if all three staves are linked by the curly brace (typically seen linking the two staves in piano music, for example)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base