I wish Noteflight would...

add more comprehensive jazz articulations!

This would include the following:

-Trombone glissandos that function like the already implemented bend (used in context for guitars), but have a more recognizable squiggly line
-Bends (the rounded "U" symbol above a note that indicates to lip the pitch down
-Squiggly lines in general (used for falls)
-Curved lines (for implied scoops, doits, and shorter falls)

Of course, this need not be used only for jazz, but since these occur very commonly in jazz repertoire, I feel like this would be very useful!
Apologies if there is an ongoing thread for this, but that only means many people want it!

2,774 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd be happy for now with just an option to do falls. They are so common in this type of music.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A VERY common notation for jazz/funk composers is scoops before the note, and falls after the note. This should be relatively simple to implement, as it's just a line that attaches to the note at either side.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been four years since this has been requested, and it is still not available? This is a very common notation used in jazz and funk, and nothing at all like a glissando. It's just a little line that hangs off the note, and I can't see it being that hard to implement. Please make this happen!

• astorm67 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many people like jazz music and may want to create jazz like pieces. with this idea, you could put in ornaments like glissandos, flutter tonguing, scoops, rises, falls, mordents, half mordents, shakes, wide vibrato, and the symbols they use within their chord symbols. with things like these, we can make pieces more interesting

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use these ALL the time in our jazz ensamble, and id like to be able to write it in with the falling notes

← Previous 1 2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base