I wish Noteflight would...

add more comprehensive jazz articulations!

This would include the following:

-Trombone glissandos that function like the already implemented bend (used in context for guitars), but have a more recognizable squiggly line
-Bends (the rounded "U" symbol above a note that indicates to lip the pitch down
-Squiggly lines in general (used for falls)
-Curved lines (for implied scoops, doits, and shorter falls)

Of course, this need not be used only for jazz, but since these occur very commonly in jazz repertoire, I feel like this would be very useful!
Apologies if there is an ongoing thread for this, but that only means many people want it!

2,763 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • M CampbellM Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! I´m trying to compose some jazz music right now and I want to include a fall-off. The glissando is close, but it requires an ending note. The program won´t let me leave the gliss open. Please add more jazz articulations!

• Tyger MiddletonTyger Middleton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want noteflight to add a larger variety of options particularly articulation and ornaments. These details are essential for jazz composition.

• Salmon KwokSalmon Kwok commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want falls and like, growls and also swing beats to become more noticeable. Maybe Noteflight could add a "Jazz" mode to scores so we could have easy access to the jazz stuff, but not get it mixed up with the normal ones.

I want falls and like, growls and also swing beats to become more noticeable. Maybe Noteflight could add a "Jazz" mode to scores so we could have easy access to the jazz stuff, but not get it mixed up with the normal ones.

I make a lot of Jazzy and Rock stuff, but a lot of Jazz features are not available for use.

• WillWill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why isn't this a thing yet? Most solos and melodies I transcribe have scoops and possibly falls. :(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should be able to put "fall-offs" on notes.... Jazz is music, and people will undoubtedly use Noteflight to write Jazz. Unless you would rather I purchased Sibelius....

• AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the end of a phrase, instruments can't fall, the just blandly cut off. There has to be made a way for falling and scopes to be made.

• John HayesJohn Hayes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree, absolutely required. Without this it just makes it difficult having to print out the arrangements and then manually write in fall-off markings. It can't be that hard to put it in as an option. It looks like this. http://cnx.org/content/m11884/latest/Scoops.png You just need to be able to place then (like a picture) and be able to re-size.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree entirely. I'm currently arranging a chart for a school stage band which requires jazz articulation, such as fall offs, and there seems to be no way to notate them. The fact that the staff don't respond to feedback until 3 years have passed is just plain lazy. I really enjoy the services noteflight provides but it would be a shame if jazz articulation is not added, which is essential to jazz and funk music, as "Anonymous" has stated

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd be happy for now with just an option to do falls. They are so common in this type of music.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base