I wish Noteflight would...

Higher-quality Sounds for Playback

NoteFlight is a fantastic project, and I fully support it. I notice that there are a lot of votes for exporting to MP3 formats. However, I argue that it will not really be worth exporting to an audio format if the sound of the instruments sound like MIDI from 20 years ago. Would it be possible to include some high-quality instruments playback sounds, ones that would really make it worth-while to export from NoteFlight instead of first exporting to MIDI (or MusicXML) and then importing it into our own programs that do Soundfonts or something similar.

2,578 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jean Of mArc shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

153 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Joseph Perry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yea, they sound odd, if we had style changes in the music, that would happen as much, unless you were to over-exaggerate them

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I am writing a peice that requires high notes and they are within range of the instruments they always sound out of tune

I play several instruments, and it bugs me that Noteflight does not use them. Also, a "voice" instrument would be nice.

the strings are so out of toon that it hurts. Please, I dont think it would take much to re record the strings sounds. just get a real musician not an online sound bite. PLEASE!

The violas are RIDICULOUSLY loud; a viola sample of 'mf' is louder than a violin sample of 'ff.'

• flylend commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have you heard what the flute sounds like? How about a beautiful whole note from the piano? It sounds incredible. I am impressed with the site. But- what about the sound of the flute? It is awful. If you agree with me for them to change the sound of the flute it would make a real difference. Who wants to write a song then play it back while you think "man I really don't want to make a flute part, because it sounds REALLY BAD"

• musicguyguy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For example, there are trumpets with very bright tones, and trumpets with darker tones.

Perhaps make the sound of the instruments sound much more real/richer. Especially the string instruments. They sound good, but they're stuck between real and fake.

• dcuny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps some sort of off-line rendering could be available? For example, instead of having Flash render with the downloaded samples, have the server render a final version with high-quality samples. So (for example) a staccato sound might still be a shortened regular sound, but the high-quality renderer could use staccato samples when rendering a final version.

Hrm... I've suddenly got visions of people overloading Noteflight's servers in order to render their projects, instead of purchasing something like GPO for themselves.

• Jean Of mArc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmmmm... good point. Perhaps there can be an option somewhere that can load higher-quality instruments if selected? Then flash can either re-load, or spend time loading the better instruments for the user? I know I would certainly use it, and I'm sure others would too when they really want to hear what their composition sounds like.
    Thanks for the reply!

• Daniel Cohen Gindi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That won't happen. For a simple reason: Noteflight is based on Adobe Flash 9.0/10.0
    The platform on which they develop Noteflight is a highly secure platform, which has many restrictions in order to protect the users from harmful websites.
    On of those restrictions, as really expected, is not to allow direct access to sound card, or to DirectSound/DirectX.
    So forget it.

• Joe Berkovitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The instruments do not sound great, for an important reason: they are optimized for fast download, which means they are mono, 22kHz, and heavily looped. Most users seem to like the fater download time and are asking for a broader range of instruments, but not necessarily for really good sounding ones which would slow the download a lot.

We are about to release MIDI export, which ought to help.

Use the users CPU for playback. As a user, I would like to create any instrument part I like, but use my installed midi sounds or soundfonts to playback music. This would help limit download times for slower connections and have instant access to many more sounds that are available on your computer vs. the limited number of sounds currently offered. Also offer control of midi programming with channels and mapping.

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base