I wish Noteflight would...

Higher-quality Sounds for Playback

NoteFlight is a fantastic project, and I fully support it. I notice that there are a lot of votes for exporting to MP3 formats. However, I argue that it will not really be worth exporting to an audio format if the sound of the instruments sound like MIDI from 20 years ago. Would it be possible to include some high-quality instruments playback sounds, ones that would really make it worth-while to export from NoteFlight instead of first exporting to MIDI (or MusicXML) and then importing it into our own programs that do Soundfonts or something similar.

2,578 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jean Of mArc shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

153 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Torrent Sibelius

Export as MusicXML

Import to Sibelius

• Joseph Perry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I agree. Most of my favorite instruments sound like crap (brass) and I'd love the instruments to be able to switch between styles (mainly for jazz) Then export that into an mp3 and be like (I WROTE THIS, LISTEN!!!!!!)

• AlexVK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some of the instruments sound like they are being played by elementary students. Also add more of a low end like I noticed you don't even have a Double Bass for strings orchestrations which is very important. So all in all have better sounding recordings and get more instruments. A good place to look for what instruments should sound like is Finale.

• Sing King Killzone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Kano is right, it does seem possible to do so. I think the engine itself is wonderful, but maybe customazation is a good thing to add as well.

• A-Xisali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The basic voices stink, you finally made better sounding instruments and you still make normal users use the "basic voices"?! Can somebody give me a logical explanation for that?

• ettiam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be possible to select 7-string guitars, 12-string guitars, and 5-string, bass. Please add these for both the free version of Noteflight, as well as Crescendo.

• ettiam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I'm trying to compose a song on Guitar, the chords end up sounding all clanky. When I play the chords in real life, they have a soothing sound to it. Could you please fix the sound of the guitars?

• Cheesewuva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For example, with flutes, legato doesn't seem to quite work, since the notes don't flow together. Also, the full sound doesn't come until slightly after it is scheduled.

• pat myhine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in note flight u only get one level of disportion too much or too little in most songs. Could u make a knob on the lower toolbar that adgustes the disportion.

• Gaston Pong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Notes Go Sharp on high notes on high pitch instruments like Clarinet, flute trumpet etc.
    It sounds awful because there are alot of beating within the instruments.

• Jared Hoyt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I get into the low piano tones, the sound is just...off and it really bugs the crap outta me!

• King Kano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This all does seem like a good idea? You get your audio soundfont's from SONiVOX correct? I have some of their software, and I noticed I could down tone them and also raise the tone in exchange for faster or slower load time. It would optimize based off what the person was trying to use. Isn't there a way you can program Noteflight to do so?

• Steven Shawn Hamlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the loudest instrument is the trombone
    the quietest is the flute
    in noteflight the oppisite is true and these rules are essensial for the full pyramid sound that the band should sound like and so is the french horn which isn't in noteflight

• dtar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when you try to use most instruments as a voice, it sounds weird. Especialy when you use slurs, it should be a lot smoother.

• Steven Shawn Hamlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the alto sax sounds like a soprano sax, flute doesn't sound too good, all woodwinds stick out like a lake in the desert & the brass instruments should be louder. in crescendo it's worse

• Aaron Pape commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a big fan of Noteflight; I'm even telling people all about it. My only gripe is that, while some of the instrument sounds are very professional sounding (love the session drum kit & strings), others remind me of the Casio keyboard I had in 1985. In particular are the guitar sounds. It would be great if you could record acoustic sounds with the string pluck and make it so guitar chords sound like an acoustic guitar is actually being played live. And the electric guitar does not sound real at all. Thanks!

• Orchus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Provide a higher margin subscription (100$ a year) that allows to export or play based on a high quality sample database (Garritan?) that is server based.

Meaning in edit mode basic sound (local) is used but in Full mode the song is rendered on the server and delivered as an mp3 or equivalent.

People already pay for great sounds. Just make a deal with Garritan, just like Sibelius and Finale did, and let everyone, you guys included, reap the benefit! :)

Oh, and add a freaking timpani please! :p

Cheers,

Antoine

Feedback and Knowledge Base