I wish Noteflight would...

Higher-quality Sounds for Playback

NoteFlight is a fantastic project, and I fully support it. I notice that there are a lot of votes for exporting to MP3 formats. However, I argue that it will not really be worth exporting to an audio format if the sound of the instruments sound like MIDI from 20 years ago. Would it be possible to include some high-quality instruments playback sounds, ones that would really make it worth-while to export from NoteFlight instead of first exporting to MIDI (or MusicXML) and then importing it into our own programs that do Soundfonts or something similar.

2,578 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jean Of mArc shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

153 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • John Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suspended cymbal rolls currently sound like a machine gun, and it's extremely annoying. Please fix this.

• Leah Childers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that Noteflight needs the money people pay for Crescendo. Without it, they wouldn't have half the awesome stuff they have today. Also, the noncrescendo aren't too bad...

• Daniel Dull commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, if Noteflight is only going to give basic users 16 instruments, don't you think they should at least give us the quality instruments? It would help basic users a lot, and Noteflight could get rid of the basic instruments and reduce the price for Crescendo and therefore allowing more people to buy Crescendo.

• BlazerFrost34 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The viola and violin sounds do not sound real at all, and I take Intermediate Orchestra! The viola sounds like it's being "blown" when it hits a high note (e on the a string).

• Brianna Sturgill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a Noteflight admin sees this, please delete this. If anyone sees this, ignore it. I didn't mean to add the second part, I was tired and it sounded like a nice addition but it would be too hard.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The saxophone sound on noteflight sounds like a six grader, to be honest! I hate when I'm writing a slow and quiet song and the saxophone comes sounding loud, brassy and metallic instead of it's warm clarinet/french horn sound. Thank You!

• E . L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I play the Clarinet, so I'm used to where the different notes should go. Then, when I was starting to make a piece, a note that should be an F sounded like a G! The F was what should be an E flat!

• Landon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better quality piano on the free version, as well as the crescendo version. Different sounding pianos would be nice for different purposes. REALLY would love it if this happened :) the piano quality on the free version is rather low

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have found the standard range to be too limiting for my ideas. Quinted resultants do not give the depth a real note does, so I would want a soundfont from either a Bosendorfer, Stuart, or Rubenstein piano, all of which have 97 or more notes. In addition, I would want the soundfont to include more recorded notes or ideally a chromatic sample set for better realism. As it stands, the nearly two decades-old Yamaha soundfont is hopelessly lacking, especially in the bass, where contra E is repeated down to A.

• Lester Colegado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hope you'll upgrade to Garritan instrument sounds. I'd be willing to pay in the low $100s annual subscription (like Finale's) for this upgrade.

• Josh Usry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In vocal scores, the tenor line is always a bit flat. the otter sections are fine (soprano does have some tuning issue in the top half of the staff and above it), but the Tenor line always plays back about a quarter step flat and it screws with being able to tell if i have written the correct pitch or not

• Noah Savage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you tell it to do a drum "roll" it takes it too literally and just makes it a lot of very short notes. I think they need a feature that lets you make a drum sustain a constant note (like an actual roll) or a cymbal sustain a long crescendo.

Feedback and Knowledge Base