I wish Noteflight would...

Higher-quality Sounds for Playback

NoteFlight is a fantastic project, and I fully support it. I notice that there are a lot of votes for exporting to MP3 formats. However, I argue that it will not really be worth exporting to an audio format if the sound of the instruments sound like MIDI from 20 years ago. Would it be possible to include some high-quality instruments playback sounds, ones that would really make it worth-while to export from NoteFlight instead of first exporting to MIDI (or MusicXML) and then importing it into our own programs that do Soundfonts or something similar.

2,578 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jean Of mArc shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

153 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Roei Meiri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Noteflight company, My name is Roei Meiri.
    and I have some problems.
    I used noteflight for years.
    From update 2 - 3.
    I had only 2 problems - 1 terrible instrument
    2 - annoying note bar.
    man. It was awful in version 2.

also the midi translation work bad in version 3 - everything translate to piano.
    WHY?!

and I do need it. I had a lot of old works in noteflight, and I can't export it to midi.
    and version 2 - using flash. that UNSUPPORTED BY GOOGLE CHROME.
    yeay.

hope you will fix it.

in another way, the noteflight is a great website. It was the first time when I truly wrote something.

Sorry for the bad comment, and have a nice day.
    Roei Meiri

• zxn93yk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can not get into the instruments, I have renewed my account now why can't I gain use of the full instruments

• Will Boender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was making a song but it sounds off without the slap bass. I feel it could benefit a lot of people if you added a slap bass

• Vanden H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can you please make the notes less scratchy I was writing an orchestral arrangement and it was very scratchy

• cai.davis2000 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In string writing, you can use different strings to get different timbres out of the same note.

For instance, if you want something on the A string of the double bass, you could notate "sul A", or "II"

• Javier Medina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Noteflight should be able to use VSTi with the help of Jackaudio or something like that, NoteFlight is just the best tool for write music easy and fast for me, I have Finale, Sibelius, MuseScore and they sound good but nothing like the writing noteflight system

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem is: they are in tune. A chord on a fixed-tuning instrument like guitar or piano can never be in tune to the ear, because the individual notes cannot be justly tuned (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_intonation).

SO in order to implement this, noteflight would have to have some sort of chord-recognition software, which would then tune the individual notes according to the chord it perceived. I'm not particularly knowledgable about writing software, but the two obvious problems with this are:

-it would be far from perfect. How a chord is intended can be pretty subjective when all you have to go on are the notes involved, especially on guitar where everything is in inversions. (there could, perhaps, be some sort of link with written chord symbols, but that would be even more complex)

-it would be very likely much more CPU-heavy in playback, unless it preloaded its 'interpretations' of each chord.

tl;dr fixed tuning instruments will always sound out of tune to the human ear; noteflight is a pretty accurate representation of this.

• Lalu99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They should allow styles switching like in other programs such as flute's being able to play vibrato/expressive or forcefully.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know, right? It sounds more like someone randomly spamming a cymbal rather than a swell. It ruins the effect.

The cymbal rolls in basic sound like a machine gun rather than the smooth swoosh I'm used to in cymbal rolls. This is annoying.

I've been playing the Alto Sax for years (Bb) and Noteflight did a pretty good job replicating it, at least in Bb.

• AdminRobin McClellan (Admin, Noteflight) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for your message. We would never deliberately sell something sub-par. We want to understand better what you are noticing - could you please send a score where you are hearing the out of tune notes to support@noteflight.com? Copy-paste the link, and describe specifically which measures and which notes this is occurring on.

Your Flute and Clarinet samples are not in tune. This is absolutely inexcusable for a piece of software being sold to consumers for a price. Use midi, look up some good generation algorithms for these instruments, and mix your triangle/sine waves and make it happen.

There is no reason a piece of software making money off of consumers should have out of tune samples. It's unethical.

• Jonathan Sabin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely love Noteflight. It offers the most easily accessible music notation service, and it is one of the best educational tools for music theory in existence, and I say this from the perspective of a student AND a teacher. It's far from perfect, but it's a work in progress. And the progress has been mind-blowing. It amazes me, therefore, that in my almost five years as a subscriber to Noteflight Crescendo, there has been no apparent effort to change the god awful saxophone sound. The saxophone sound quality is barely improved from the free service to Crescendo. A well-played soprano, alto, or tenor saxophone should sound smooth and vibrant, not tinny and shrill. Please correct this problem. There's no reason that a service as exceptional as yours should allow this kind of flaw to persist. Thank you, and keep up the good work!

I post my music on a website but i don't think the instruments sound realistic enough.

• Jeremy N. Holst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

all saxaphones on noteflight sound artificial. too artificial.
    it doesn't sound good, and is causing other to 'hate' saxaphones.

• Jay Durham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh I totally agree, the midi version of the concert band instrumentation and actual voicing ranges of certain instruments is awful. I'm a saxophonist, and I can't handle writing sax parts bc the playback quality brings the ear immediately to the textural imbalance. Symphonic wind band sound improvement would be amazing! But aside that, I love using crescendo!

Feedback and Knowledge Base