I wish Noteflight would...

Higher-quality Sounds for Playback

NoteFlight is a fantastic project, and I fully support it. I notice that there are a lot of votes for exporting to MP3 formats. However, I argue that it will not really be worth exporting to an audio format if the sound of the instruments sound like MIDI from 20 years ago. Would it be possible to include some high-quality instruments playback sounds, ones that would really make it worth-while to export from NoteFlight instead of first exporting to MIDI (or MusicXML) and then importing it into our own programs that do Soundfonts or something similar.

2,578 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jean Of mArc shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

153 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • coopersandlerlevine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The choir voices are nice, but having a solo voice that could go high and low for each part would be great. I mean, if there was a solo voice for male, it could be able to go up to a G without having to voice modulate it.

• Sherry Bradford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the violins sound very chalky .I understand that the sound is computer generated ,but the sound of the violin should at least have a little more realism. I'm a violinist and get homework from my teacher on your sight (which i would have to say is very descent) and when i am listening to the violin part i cringe by the sound.so i am asking in more desperate than negative way; please consider.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add 12-tuplets because im trying to write a 12 tuplet part and without it the violins would be behind the rhythm section

• tzef commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. I would be great if noteflight could have some system where you could record more instruments. I am interested in Greek musical instruments !!!

• Max Trotter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The basic voices just sound like someone doing a singing warm-up. If you're not using Noteflight for composing singing warmups, then it's not very useful.

• Artemio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The sound samples that are used for all the saxophones sound very fake and low quality.
    The intonation is also off on certain notes on most of the saxophones especially for the soprano sax.

It would be nice if the saxophones had a more smooth classical sound instead of the jazzy grainy type, the latter sound doesn't work for every musical context.
    I'm begging you, please fix the saxophone sounds!
    It would be greatly appreciated by many in this community.
    Thanks.

• Rune commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allowing for custom soundfonts too would be a good way to help this.

• Sitric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When using multiple voices in an orchestral score, there are instruments that are semitones apart, and it causes a lot of dissonance that shouldn't be there. The violins, flutes, clarinet, and trumpet are all tuned differently, and when played together, they sound very dissonant, especially on the extreme ends of the instrument ranges. Even allowing custom tuning between instruments would help on a note-by-note basis.

• anonymous composer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see the user being able to upload sound fonts.

But what would be even more astounding, is for the user being able to upload a audio file, or record one. Then noteflight would take that audio file and tune it to each note of the european twelve note scale.

• LeopardWolfProductions commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No offense, Noteflight, but your audio sound is bad. I think we should have better quality sound for instruments. Please take into consideration.

• khromer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the new HTML5 editor, slides between notes result in the note being extremely out of tune.

• Zane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be awesome if we could upload our own soundfonts to use with Noteflight so we could get a better idea of what the piece would sound like. I would also like it to be our own soundfonts so we can control the sounds of each genre so each song could be more specific to sound

• Nate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I put a tremolo, it sounds like a machine gun (yeah, I know, everyone says that, but it's true), but if I put a roll it just plays one note. Problem on my end, or...?

• Nate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should also have a feature to turn "Realistic Instruments" on or leave it off, for the people like me who don't like change.

• Jacob Zufall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Musical pieces like Mars by Gustav Holst use con legno on string instruments. Con legno is hitting the wood of the bow against the string. I think it would be cool to be able to listen to this in playback.

Feedback and Knowledge Base