I wish Noteflight would...

"Insert" note entry mode

In my opinion, the single biggest usability improvement that could be made is for notes to slide across measure boundaries. With measures being as rigid as they are, it's very difficult to tweak the note values to make them sound right, because a note that's lengthened is liable to clobber the next couple notes. They should just slide into the next measure; I'll make them all fit later. If a note gets slid halfway over a measure boundary, you can show it as two tied notes in a light box or otherwise indicate that they are actually one note rendered as two. I can split them or fix the timing later.

If I have to figure out all the timing in advance, I'll just use Lilypond.

15 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminRobin McClellan (Admin, Noteflight) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi and sorry for the slow reply! What you can do is:

1. Select all the notes you want to add the rest before
        2. Click right and HOLD on one of the notes (not a rest) and drag to the right. A box will appear showing the new position of the selected notes:
        3. When you let go of the mouse button, the notes will be dropped into that position, leaving a rest in their place.

• Linda Hite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm needing to add a rest before some notes (at the beginning of the measure) but Noteflight keeps putting it automatically at the end. Any suggestions?

• KD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - this would be a great feature! I haven't used other programs, so I'm not familiar with them and I really like NoteFlight. But I was surprised to see that adding a note to a measure in the middle of a score doesn't just automatically push the whole score "over" a note. (Although It's good to know you can select the whole score and push it - I didn't know about that option.)

• jeffwphilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I've already written a score and realize that a note in the middle needs to be extended in duration it overwrites the note immediately following it. Similarly if I decrease the duration of a note, a rest appears to the right of it. The notes should be independent and the overall score should move left or right to accommodate the changed duration. Currently you have to manually select the entire score to push it out and make space. This should be a toggle preference since the current behavior does have its advantages.

Feedback and Knowledge Base