I wish Noteflight would...

refine piano pedal notation and playback

Make pedaling notation user freindly, easier to read, and more stremlined by giving users a choice in what kind of styling to use. (Ped. * or just a line w/carrots ______^________)

225 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Blake shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Winfree03 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With a Premium membership, I fell like it would be a great addition to add things like half pedal, softening pedal, and a few more.
    I know that I wasn't too specific, but I hope you get the idea.
    Thanks!

~Winfree03

• Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Implement 'Variable Pedal Mark' as an alternative to the 'Engage Pedal' and 'Release Pedal' (the 'LED' and flower) as this would look much cleaner in the notation.

• Robin Inman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The pedal effect lets the notes bleed together, so to say, but it doesn't recognize lower voices, and makes the notes unable to sustain for the course of the pedal.

• fa18hornet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

✄┏┓╋╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋┏━━━┳┓
    ✄┃┗┓┏┛┃╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┏━┓┃┃
    ✄┗┓┗┛┏╋━━┳━━┓┃┗━┛┃┃┏━━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
    ✄╋┗┓┏┛┃┃━┫━━┫┃┏━━┫┃┃┃━┫┏┓┃━━┫┃━┫
    ✄╋╋┃┃╋┃┃━╋━━┃┃┃╋╋┃┗┫┃━┫┏┓┣━━┃┃━┫
    ✄╋╋┗┛╋┗━━┻━━┛┗┛╋╋┗━┻━━┻┛┗┻━━┻━━┛

██╗Yes Please.
    ██║
    ██║
    ╚═╝
    ██╗
    ╚═╝

_____/\______/\______/\______/\______/\______/\______|

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current pedal markings are very inaccurate for many piano scores. Syncopated pedaling is the most common type, and there is nothing on Noteflight to notate it!!! Very frustrating, I paid for a whole year and can't correctly notate even the simplest piano piece because this feature is missing! :(

The current pedal feature, the word "Led." followed by a symbol indicating the release of the pedal, is not as coherent or as clean as a horizontal bar beneath the grand staff. I think adding the horizontal bar with overlapping breaks (the upside-down "V's") would serve well within the program.

• The Baroque Pianist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have had this problem a lot when I tried to export the MIDI to other programs, any program, especially Synthesia. And the XML doesn't even export it with the pedal at all.

I'd love for this to be implemented! I use the pedal almost constantly in my arrangements, so the current pedal mark turns out awkwardly when I use it (especially visually, the mark kind of clogs things up).

• Andrew Chung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea of having pedals but you should consider adding the sostenuto pedal and the una corda (soft) pedal. That would make things more flexible. You could just add it to the "Lines" palette.

• ziddy6 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since "con pedale" means "with pedal," and "senza pedale" means" without pedal," shouldn't they work that way? Like, it would make the sound of a normal pedal, but without the markings. Some composers like to say "con pedale" since it's easier... so, Noteflight, would you guys be able to make it work right?

• ziddy6 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only problem with that is that the pedal notation always lies below or, in some cases, above the staff. If someone wanted to perform it, they would think the pedal notation would mean that the whole measure(s) used the pedal. Plus, it's not even possible to use the pedal on one voice on a piano. Sorrow to burst your bubble. ;)

• Qwertyzxcv1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You could select the voice to pedal, and click the pedal button. Also if someone copies that measure or you import it as a midi file, that part would be the only one with pedal.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base