I wish Noteflight would...

add a feature that enables multi-movement writing within a single document

Add a feature that allows multi-movement writing within a single document.

93 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Walter Kasmer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminRobin McClellan (Admin, Noteflight) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sorry for the confusion! I hate to ask, but if you don't mind it would be great if you could re-post your idea. I think it's a valuable idea and would love to have it "on the books" again now that I understand it better.

And/or, there is another related idea here - does this come close?
        http://feedback.noteflight.com/forums/4962-tell-us-your-thoughts/suggestions/2043251-allow-actions-on-multiple-scores-at-once-print-d

• Ava Cash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My suggestion was combined with this one, when they really weren't the same. I'd like to see this feature, sure, but as my post originally stated, I'd like to see a feature that allows us to 'combine' multiple pieces together, and export SEPARATE pieces together, in wav/mp3/midi/pdf forms, and print them, rather than going in and printing individual works one at a time.

The difference here is, my suggestion implies fluidity of decision- one could choose to print off individual pieces, or groups of pieces, or group pieces in different manners when convenient/necessary- whereas this suggestion forces you to consider/write pieces as movements of a whole.

I'm not going to repost my idea, even though I am rather irritated that it was combined with this one, which is an entirely separate suggestion. There is a HUGE difference between writing movements within one piece, and combining individual pieces into a singular work. This is very annoying. I'm removing my votes.

• Ava Cash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be especially helpful when writing a bunch of different movements for a singular work, or a series of songs in a cycle, etc- particularly when the different pieces have different instrumentations and whatnot. Basically, it would be nice to be able to 'combine' scores in a specific order, for the purposes of exporting them in various ways and for printing them, rather than having to go through and print each thing individually, and stitch together the midi/wav/mp3/pdf files manually.

This would be quite nice and convenient when doing large collections of work for operas, musicals, and ballets.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a feature I'm looking for also. I can use the suggested work-arounds for now, but it's a nice idea. Great system by the way !

• Mitch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would have been especially helpful for the recent competition for writing a duet for Viola and Clarinet. My submission was in 2 movements, as were several others.

• MiaJoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love this option! I'd like to create multi-movement pieces and also create group warm-ups based on the more difficult rhythms/melodies in the noteflight music that are all part of the same "package" or piece instead of creating a separate score for each idea.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to have a feature that would split movements between pieces. The system breaks are very helpful to do this, but it would be nice if there was a way to reset measure numbers at the start of a second or third movement.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish they would have different movements so it would look like separate scores in one score. When I'm writing pieces, this becomes hard when I want movements, as the music stretch keeps going and same with the playback.

• Shane Wojciechowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The main things for me that matter are being able to add a header at the top of a page so I can properly label the movement change. I would also like to see the ability to easily use the playback function from the beginning of any desired movement without having to scroll all over. This is what I would like to see along with what the original poster had suggested. Thanks.

• Zhang Yi Yang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the tip. However, the main thing I want to go after is really the bar numbers and the title page...

• ziddy6 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can simply add a measure before the next movement, and put a double barline on that measure. Then add the rest of the movement. But that is a good idea.

• Zhang Yi Yang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When writing a concerto, symphony, or any other piece with movements, I would like all the movements to be in a score.
        This basically means,
        1. Different movements in a title, etc. "Allegro non Troppo", "Adagio" etc.
        2. Page numbers continue as usual while bar numbers start from 1 at the beginning of each movement, and
        3. (optional) allow different number of instrument types in each movement.

• Vera Vieira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could not figure out if I can separate two or more movements within one piece. Can this be done?

Feedback and Knowledge Base