I wish Noteflight would...

The thing with all the input items

We all know of the thing that floats around when you edit the sheet music. It's the thing that has the quarter notes, the eight notes and of course dynamics and the tablature and everything else. I can't stand the fact that it moves around. It gets in my way when I'm trying to edit the sheet music. Wouldn't it be great if it stays like on the side of the editor? Like, maybe in the upper right hand corner or upper left hand corner? Just so it stays out of our way. Won't it be much easier?

1,366 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ian HulettIan Hulett shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Zack UhlenhuthZack Uhlenhuth responded  · 

This feature has been added!
    To change modes of palette positioning in the Flash editor, go to the ‘View’ Menu and toggle the ‘Position Edit Palette Automatically’ option. When this option is checked, the palette will behave as it has before (following the user’s clicks). However, the unchecked version will keep the palette stationary and also makes it scroll with the page.
    Also, the newer HTML5 Noteflight editor (which you can access from the View menu in the Flash version) has a fixed object palette that doesn’t move around.
    Enjoy this new feature!

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Zack UhlenhuthZack Uhlenhuth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is coming very soon! Soon you will be able to choose between an automatically positioned palette (the mode you have described), or one that moves only when the user drags it or scrolls the page. This is how the palette will work in the Flash Editor (and the browser will remember your choice for future sessions)
        As described by Joe, the HTML 5 Editor will have a fixed editing palette.

• Joseph PerryJoseph Perry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The HTML version makes it a lot easier. The con is, when you are deep into a score, it likes to back up "changes" which means you may have highlighted one measure just so you could start from that area, but it reacts to it like it's a change and does this weird auto save thing which messes up the playing quite a bit too

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just started using noteflight and I'm enjoying it. However, one of the things I would like to be able to do is to put in a staff with a treble clef only....NO NOTES or RESTS. Just below the staff I would like to print the names of a particular key signature and then have my students write in the correct number of sharps or flats on the staff, without the clutter of rests. How can I do that with Noteflight? In other words, I want a staff and treble clef only.

I have to agree with Phil below, sometimes it's really convenient to have the palette right at the tip of the cursor.

• Phil PhanPhil Phan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YEA! Please make an optional stationary palette. Please make it only optional though, because I'm sure some people actual like the palette to move around

• Michael WildeMichael Wilde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've never cursed at anything like I have that !@##@$ editing palette. It's never where I need it and it's always in the way.
        In my browser I've never had to hunt for the address bar or the file button. They stay in one place for a reason. I've almost quit noteflight because that editing palette infuriates me.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can switch to the HTML5 editor, it's different there, see if you like it better. It's in the lower left corner but it's standing still, so you should check it out

• NezziNezzi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't have too much of a problem with it, but sometimes it can definitely get annoying.

• SnackeSnacke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's actually called "The Editing Palette" :)
        Obviously everyone understands what you refer to but I thought that it could be good to know the real name for future reference. If you, for example, need to explain where to find pedal notation it's much faster to write "the editing palette" than "the thing that floats around when you edit the sheet music. It's the thing that has the quarter notes, the eight notes and of course dynamics and the tablature and everything else". (It's a great explanation though, I'm not saying anything about that.)

Yes these menu's float.... as they should and are interdependantly linked to the interface... Seems a bit of inconveinience when they are in your way but.... They remain where they arez :-)

• KenKen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that it moves too much. Additionally, It's never in the same place twice. I can never count on it to be where I need it and I spend too much time looking for it.

• LazercrocLazercroc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, if the floating thing stayed on the side of the screen (top, bottom, side - anywhere excpet the middle) then Noteflight would seem better "polished", thus allowing it to compete with other software out there that cost so much (more) money, thus making it preferred over the others so more people will use it.
        That's what I think...

• Jenny ChuJenny Chu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, god, that floating thing is the bane of my existence! I hate it! It is especially bad when I am notating on my netbook, which has a smaller screen. It is always, always, always right on top of the exact measure that I am currently editing, so that I can't see it! I would even be happy if it still floated, but at least stayed the heck away from the measure that I'm trying to work on.

The best would be if I could toggle it to turn on and off (View Floating Thing on/off).

• TuwandaTuwanda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually like the floating UI, but I think an option to have it stationary would be nice.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base