I wish Noteflight would...

Allow to have 3 or more voices per staff, instead of just 2

It is a pretty basic function that most other composition programs offer, and have been used for hundreds of years in different kinds of notation. It is too limiting as it is presented today on noteflight, and have been that for too long.

109 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    nicke1126 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dylan Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BTW regarding the guitar examples given below, in all cases I think see better ways of notating them that don't require more than 2 voices per stave. It's actually a little surprising guitarists don't learn how to read from multiple staves for this sort of music, but even without that, unless the composer is really very specific about when they want notes in the lower voice to be stopped, in most cases just using l.v. ties would suffice to show arppegiated lines.

• Dylan Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually disagree. I think the only reason scores in the past had more than 2 voices per stave were because of difficulties increasing the number of staves. Music with 3+ voices per stave is almost always impossible to read. If the software makes it easy to split one part up into to multiple staves then you don't need more than 2 voices per stave.

• John Daily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Robin McClellan - Thank you for your reply. It does go a long way, and I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

• AdminRobin McClellan (Admin, Noteflight) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are sorry not to have provided a fuller reply! We marked this "Under review" which was our way of saying that we are discussing it - and indeed we have been actively discussing it in the last few months, because we know how important it is to our users like you. The decision-making process for new features is very tricky and involves balancing a lot of factors. Sometimes a very needed and desirable feature like this is very complicated for our software developers to build, or involves redesigning or altering other features that many users already depend on. So, that's a long way of saying that although we probably won't have this feature ready within the next few months, we have not forgotten about it! We sincerely hope you'll stick with us, and we truly value your feedback.

Too bad leaving feedback does no good. Choral and Classical Guitar composers have been BEGGING you to add at least a third voice for the last 8 years(!), without even so much as a one-word reply from Noteflight staff. For example: look at the first two measures (or any measure, really) of "Memories of Tateshina" by Jean-Marie Raymond ( https://www.stringsbymail.com/images/DZ2799_b.jpg ). This is a *simple* piece for guitar, written in an extremely *common* style and yet, Noteflight still can't handle it.

I like Noteflight. I want to stay with Noteflight. However, there is less preferable, but completely free software available that allows for more than two voices, and when my subscription for NF ends in a couple of months, I need to know whether or not I'll be able to renew it. If there aren't at least three voices by then, Noteflight is useless to me. Please, PLEASE acknowledge your users, even if it's a "No, we'll never do that" so we can stop wasting our time. Thank you for looking.

• David Rasmussen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is no small matter for classical guitarists, I want to love Noteflight, but can't recommend it to others without this feature.

Not everyone composes for piano, and those of us who compose for classical guitar have been asking for this feature since 2009. We really NEED to be able to write more than two voices on treble clef. I even paid for Premium, as it never occurred to me that NF wouldn't allow me to do what other free programs (such as MuseScore) can do. The new Groups feature is great, but to add extraneous features without first taking care of what is, for us, basic functionality is a bit mind-boggling, particularly since it's been asked for before. Cheers for a great piece of software, but please, please, PLEASE implement this already, so I don't have to leave.

• Bryce Absher (User: Vrai) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There have been times where I was composing pieces like 'Mary, Did You Know?' for my a cappella group and needed 3+ voices a single line. I.e.; I know you can add an upper or lower voice, but I have desired before to create bell chords of 8 notes, and that is impossible without adding another piano, which is confusing to read. Anyhow, I love the current setup, it's just a small feature that could be greatly successful.

Why isn't this a thing yet? As a classical guitarist, I really NEED to be able to write more than two voices on a single staff. I even paid for Premium, as it never occurred to me that NF wouldn't allow me to do what other free programs (such as MuseScore) can do. The new Groups feature is great, but to add extraneous features without first taking care of basic functionality is pretty ridiculous.

• L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Makes editing way easier, and allows for more creativity

• Tein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if we could add more than two 'upper voices' or 'lower voices' (piano).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't agree more. My composing is often for 8 part acapella choir, where it is most common to only use two staves. For example on many notes Sop1 and Sop2 will be on same note, then diverge. I'm at a loss now to use noteflight for this, and I would kill to have this because of the sharing feature and being able to send music ahead of time to the choir. The other thing I'm waiting for is your promised feature of new sampled instruments for playback. My instruments will be my choir sections sampled. No more awful synthesized voice sounds.

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, just wanted to add that I would be just as happy to see this as a crescendo only feature also (inputting more than 2 voices per staff line/staff).

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not so worried about connecting note beams but that would still be nice. The first full bar of music I have entered is impossible to enter because the right hand part technically has 3 voices (L.H already uses 2) - very frustrating and glad it wasn't the last bar!

• Curt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

at least with Crescendo; also, other advanced features would be nice like being able to connect note beams through measure lines.

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In highly polyphonic music, particularly for the organ, it's common for three parts to be shown on one staff. In this case, two parts with the same stem direction will have their notes somewhat offset for easy reading. I hope you can invent some way to allow this.

• baritoneb1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like this. I usually wind up haveing to create two trumpet parts, having 1st trumpets on one line, and 2nd/3rd trumpets on the other staff. This takes up unnecessary space in my opinion.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base