Tell us your thoughts!

We really want to hear from our users! This is where you can submit your ideas to us, request a new feature, tell us what you like or dislike about Noteflight, and find out what our current plans are!

NOTE: If you are having a technical problem, please email support@noteflight.com rather than posting here.

1. allow for the number of strings in tablature to be changed.

Some basses and bass music call for more than four strings. Some guitars and guitar music call for more than six strings. I wish Noteflight would allow you to add strings to your tabs. I'm sick of writing out tabs for a five string bass on guitar tabs because at the end, when I go print, I have an extra string that throws me off when I go to read the sheet music.

246 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  44 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Braces/brackets for instrument groups

All other notation software companies like Sibelius etc. have put in the most basic of music notation signs - braces/brackets for voice and instrument groups. I am writing for SATB but for it to be published it must have a brace. The finished article has got to look professional and at the moment the finished score doesn't. At the moment I have to transfer it to Musecore and it's getting rather tedious. Please, please can you give this your priority?

206 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. add more comprehensive jazz articulations!

This would include the following:

-Trombone glissandos that function like the already implemented bend (used in context for guitars), but have a more recognizable squiggly line
    -Bends (the rounded "U" symbol above a note that indicates to lip the pitch down
    -Squiggly lines in general (used for falls)
    -Curved lines (for implied scoops, doits, and shorter falls)

Of course, this need not be used only for jazz, but since these occur very commonly in jazz repertoire, I feel like this would be very useful!
    Apologies if there is an ongoing thread for this, but that only means many people want…

2,901 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  34 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add different historical temperaments

It would be cool to be able to change the temperament to a pre-20th century tuning, to add a more authentic feel to some of the classical music composed on the platform.

Some temperaments that could be added might be:
    -Pythegorian
    -Just
    -Mean-tone
    -Well

570 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fix These Problems URGENTLY

I believe that everyone (including myself) has been waiting far too long for some of these problems to be resolved and I am becoming quite dissatisfied with some features of Noteflight. I'll just get straight to the points and attempt to explain my best.

Crescendos and decrescendos do not carry throughout the notes, they only change when a new note plays. So if I place a decrescendo on a a whole note so that it dissipates, it will play the same volume that it began with until that note ends/moves on to the next note, which ruins the music quite…

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you so much for this. We are a tiny team and we are working constantly to improve our products. We have a backlog of hundreds of items and we often add new features. All of these are great points and they are on our list! I’m sorry not to have a quicker answer!

7. Add dynamic support within a note

As of now, Noteflight playback doesn't allow for crescendo/decrescendo on a single tone or throughout a trill. It would be great to have that feature.

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add instrument mixing throughout songs.

Basically, it's the mixer bar, but there's a way to make it change as the song plays. Maybe there's a pencil icon next to a setting (volume or channel) and it allows you to draw the setting on the music which changes up and down throughout notes and measure.

Let's use an example: You click the pencil icon on "volume" and draw a line going left to right in the music, and you're able to move the line up and down, the higher the line is, the higher the volume, the lower the setting, the lower the volume. This is…

572 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Be able to edit the title in strip and flow layout

It is a hassle to change the title and composer when started in strip or flow layout. What is currently required is to change to page mode (which usually takes a while and lags out) then select and type. It would be helpful for there to be a quicker way on strip or flow layout, for large pieces this is a hassle.

569 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add a Better Glissando

I really love being on Noteflight and I also love the limitless opportunities it provides.

Unfortunately, I have discovered slight problems with the software. In some compositions I have recently made, I have repeatedly tried to use the glissando option with terrible results. Instead of sliding up and down the fingerboard or extending a slide, it only moves up or down the chromatic scale.

Not only this problem, but I am also not able to shape them the way I would like them to. The glissando does not continue through different notes (for example if I were to place three…

1,186 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Incorporate Color Theme Options Into Scores

Most websites have incorporated the ability for a "night mode", or other themes that can be used to change not only the look but the overall feel for the website. I think that varying theme options should be available to Noteflight users.

As with reverb effects, the composer of a score can set the theme they'd like their score to be, and when others visit the score, that will be the theme that is displayed. ALSO like reverb effects, the user viewing the score can change the theme to be their preference while in someone else's score, without permanently changing…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix the lag PLEASE!!!!

I can barely get anything done due to some of the lag!!

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are so sorry to hear this is happening! We have found that Chrome browser works the best – if you are using another browser, could you try the latest version of Chrome?

If that doesn’t help, please write to support@noteflight.com and let us know the browsers you have tried, and the link to a score where this is happening.

Thank you!

13. Allow filtering options for specifically notes, rests, or both, rather filtering for both all the time.

My problem: When I filter a section with the 'notes' filter in the edit menu, it filters both the notes and the rests.

My solution: I recommend an option that allows filtering of only notes, rests, or both. This way the traditional filter option continues to exist while two new options can be tested and utilized.

i.e. I have music that needs certain rests to be invisible. Introducing a rests-only filter would be a great way to facilitate that.

I also believe that adding a specific notes-only filter could help facilitate editing of notes in a section as well.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add actual jazz chord notation - not modified classical.

Slash Chords, use of the maj7th triangle and diminished * symbol. Also the invisible chords boxes should be overlays not opaque white boxes which obscures the staff in default positioning.

Overall, Noteflight is very weak for working with jazz charts and scores. It really needs improvement in this area.

156 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. fix unwanted text indentation

Whenever I convert my scores to PDF or print them, the section where the composer's name is written is always indented towards the left. It looks very unprofessional and should be fixed.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Progressive Web App (PWA)

I've noticed several suggestions regards having a dedicated iOS / Android app. Perhaps can we able to migrate the web app as a PWA instead?

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. create a 5-line percussion staff that includes instruments like triangle, tambourine, and shakers/maracas.

I'm working on a song for my band class and I'd like them to hear the actual sounds of a triangle and tambourine rather than a splash cymbal and a closed hi-hat. These are standard instruments and need to be added to a dedicated percussion staff. We also need to be able to have the snare and the bass drum playing different rhythms at the same time on the staff. This is how percussion parts are written.

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Have teacher duet at the bottom of the score

Include the option to have the teacher duet at the bottom of the score for beginner music. This takes away the visual clutter for the student.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow us to Transpose using Half- or Whole steps instead of only Minor/Major Intervals

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but when I go to transpose a score down or up one whole step, it asks me if I want a Minor 2nd or an Augmented 2nd, etc. I'm sure this is useful for advanced people, but I would love the option of moving in Half or Whole steps.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. multiple measure repeat

In February, the "Repeat Measure" symbol was implemented (see: http://feedback.noteflight.com/forums/4962-tell-us-your-thoughts/suggestions/2765497-include-the-repeat-measure-symbol-a-forward-slash ).
    That's great! However, many users on that thread (myself included) have requested a "multiple measure" repeat symbol -- which repeats a two bar phrase.
    The symbol used is the same percent sign looking thingy, *//*, but there is a "2" above it and it straddles the barline.
    Such functionality would be **greatly** appreciated, as it's really important for jazz charts, etc.

95 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24
  • Don't see your idea?

Tell us your thoughts!

Categories