Tell us your thoughts!

We really want to hear from our users! This is where you can submit your ideas to us, request a new feature, tell us what you like or dislike about Noteflight, and find out what our current plans are!

NOTE: If you are having a technical problem, please email support@noteflight.com rather than posting here.

I wish Noteflight would...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. add more comprehensive jazz articulations!

This would include the following:

-Trombone glissandos that function like the already implemented bend (used in context for guitars), but have a more recognizable squiggly line
    -Bends (the rounded "U" symbol above a note that indicates to lip the pitch down
    -Squiggly lines in general (used for falls)
    -Curved lines (for implied scoops, doits, and shorter falls)

Of course, this need not be used only for jazz, but since these occur very commonly in jazz repertoire, I feel like this would be very useful!
    Apologies if there is an ongoing thread for this, but that only means many people want…

2,700 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      under review  ·  27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add actual jazz chord notation - not modified classical.

Slash Chords, use of the maj7th triangle and diminished * symbol. Also the invisible chords boxes should be overlays not opaque white boxes which obscures the staff in default positioning.

Overall, Noteflight is very weak for working with jazz charts and scores. It really needs improvement in this area.

140 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        under review  ·  14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add a Better Glissando

I really love being on Noteflight and I also love the limitless opportunities it provides.

Unfortunately, I have discovered slight problems with the software. In some compositions I have recently made, I have repeatedly tried to use the glissando option with terrible results. Instead of sliding up and down the fingerboard or extending a slide, it only moves up or down the chromatic scale.

Not only this problem, but I am also not able to shape them the way I would like them to. The glissando does not continue through different notes (for example if I were to place three…

308 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • 52 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • More Essential Clefs

Hello!

Over the past few months, I have really wanted to have a bigger selection of clefs. My suggestion would be, if you double click on any clef, it would bring you to a small screen (like the key signature one) that would have the following clefs:

- Treble Clef
            - 8va Treble Clef
            - 15ma Treble Clef
            - Tenor Voice Clef
            - Bass Clef
            - Octave Bass Clef
            - 15ma Bass Clef
            - Octave (up) Bass Clef
            - Alto Clef
            - Tenor Clef
            - Soprano Clef
            - Mezzo-Soprano Clef
            - French Clef
            - Baritone Clef
            - Subbass Clef
            -…

28 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              under review  ·  12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • have a spotlight

A spotlight is something on a lot of music notation websites which allows you to put up a number of your works at the top of your Noteflight page. It helps you get more views on the scores you post on it. I am having trouble with getting feedback on Noteflight, because I would post something and it would get a number of views and favorites, and then it would just stop and fall dead. It would get almost no views and maybe get a favorite after a month. I think a spotlight would help me get more feedback on…

46 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                under review  ·  13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Create Chords and Bass Lines from Chord Symbols

So you can type in your chords, then have Noteflight auto-notate a bass line or chords for the symbol. It seems quite simple to do, as you each chord has it's distinct sound...

106 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  under review  ·  23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Add a Multimeasure Repeat Sign as an option.

You have the option for a single measure repeat sign which is great, but I would like to be able to insert even a 2-measure or 4 measure repeat sign. When writing percussion parts that become very repetitive, the parts end up being pages upon pages long and difficult for the performers to keep track of where they are in the music; especially if it's part of a score and you cannot add the typical double dot repeat bracket into the part without creating an entirely separate document. Please try to make this part of your program! It would save…

17 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Pizzicato and Spiccato Improvements

Pizzicato and Spiccato should be available for Premium members on all basic bowed instruments.

Thanks!

~Winfree03

8 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • have playback for harmonics

Maybe I'm not aware of the feature -- but I'd like to notate harmonics on string instruments and have the (correct) pitches played. For example: I'd like to use a diamond note head on middle C on a violin and have g'' play back. Even if there's no change in timbre it'd be great to be able to notate harmonics, especially artificial harmonics.

In the meantime (if this idea would be considered), is there an existing work-around? As in, is there any way can I have the playback play notes that do not match the notes written (e.g., solid note…

46 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

There is no way to have certain notes play back different sounds. There is a complicated, imperfect workaround though… you could add a separate staff with just the alternate notes, and then un-check that staff in the instruments list to hide it. Then take the notes in the main part you don’t want to hear, and make them pppp, and hide the dynamic. Again, far from perfect….

• Is NoteCon a Possibility?

I think that Noteflight is big enough now that it might be fun to have a NoteCon; an annual or biannual convention at which Noteflighters can come and talk with each other and discuss music and Noteflight itself. We could:

- Have featured Noteflighters speak on a panel. The Noteflighters could be selected for various reasons; we could have most followed person, the person with the most faved scores, the person with the most presence on Noteflight, people who just generally deserve to be featured Noteflighters, etc, etc.

- Vote on the best composition(s) of the year, and maybe even…

9 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add French Horns to the Free version of Noteflight

It is difficult to compose any music for the horn selection without French Horns, and still make it sound good. I understand that there must be aspects in the Premium version that the free version doesn't have, so that people feel the need to buy it, but French Horns are so essential in my composing, it's hard to write without them. Please Help! Thank you :)

73 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            under review  ·  12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • fix the tempo issues

When I change the tempo in a certain part of the song, the measure immediately after stays at the original tempo, so I have to change each measure. It is very annoying and time consuming. It would also be nice to be able to move the tempo marking over (horizontally), in a more convenient place. If there is a way to do this already, I am unaware, and I would like to know! Thanks

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Tempo is designed to affect all selected measures. So what you are describing if you have a specific measure, or an object in that measure, selected. To fix it, select all the measures you want to be at a given tempo. To apply a tempo to the whole score, de-select everything, or click Control-A to select the whole score.

We currently don’t have plans to allow moving the tempo marking horizontally, but we will consider it.

• allow arpeggios across notes from different voices

At the moment arpeggios can't seem to span notes across different voices. If I have a single upper voice note and a single lower voice note, I cannot apply an arpeggio to the two notes.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

This seems to be two related things:
                                1. On any single note, whether one voice or two, you can’t add an arpeggio. This makes sense though perhaps there are situations you’d want one?
                                2. An arpeggio can’t extend from one voice (with at least two notes in a chord) to another voice (also with at least two notes in a chord).

It seems you are commenting primarily on the second factor?

• Make a button to go to a random score no one has favorited

This idea is pretty self explanatory. The recent scores list is pretty chaotic and generally filled with people who republish their scores over and over. It would be cool if there were a button that would randomly take you to a Noteflight score that no one has favorited, prioritizing old scores. There would be a few rules:

-It would prioritize scores no one has viewed, either completely or just tend to choose them
                                -It would prioritize old scores over new scores. You may need a cutoff to make this feasible, so that every score people get from this isn't 5…

18 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Search and replace - text and/or musical content

Just recently I realised I misspelled a word that I'd used 20+ times in the lyrics, and to be able to search and replace to fix them all would have been a godsend!

7 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • make the program accessible for blind music students

Make the program work with JAWS and allow selections to be made using keystrokes as well as a mouse. Eg. to allow a blind student to at least upload their file independently to be viewed by others in the group.

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Add Volta Brackets

Volta brackets it's a really important repetition sign. I don't know if I just can't find this feature but after checking the whole User Guide several times I'm pretty sure it's not there. I hope you guys add this function pretty soon. I use Noteflight a lot but unfortunelly I still have to use other softwares because of Volta brackets.

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Consider a Marching Bass Drum Voicing change.

When you read published marching bass drum music, any note written on the center line of the staff, is to be played unison by all basses. When you write that note in notefilght it doesn't play anything. Would you guys consider changing that so that it will play all bass drums at once?

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Pedal Notation

With a Premium membership, I fell like it would be a great addition to add things like half pedal, softening pedal, and a few more.
                                          I know that I wasn't too specific, but I hope you get the idea.
                                          Thanks!

~Winfree03

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Tell us your thoughts!

Feedback and Knowledge Base